Director of the Center for Community Standards resigns after six years

Jussel to act as new dean of students at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Adam Jussel, former director of the Center for Community Standards, discusses new changes to the student conduct process Friday in the French Administration building.

PAIGE CAMPBELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

PAIGE CAMPBELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

PAIGE CAMPBELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

CODY SCHOELER, Evergreen reporter

Adam Jussel, former director of the Center for Community Standards (CCS), stepped down after serving in that role since 2013.

Jussel said he will become the dean of students at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He said he was drawn by the university itself and believes it is the next, best step for him.

Mary Jo Gonzales, vice president of student affairs, said they hired Karen Metzner as interim director and will do a national search in the spring to find a permanent director.

Jussel said he worked day-to-day operations, such as conducting formal hearings for expulsions and suspensions, dealing with planning and budget, and working directly with students and student leaders.

Gonzales said Jussel has been instrumental to CCS. She said he helped CCS set a strong, new foundation for the program going forward.

Gonzales said CCS’s goal is to make sure students know their rights and responsibilities, and stay in the university.

Jussel worked with students who made mistakes that may result in consequences and helped them map a way to return to the university in good standing, she said.

Gonzales said Jussel would spend time with students, talk about their decisions and how to make better ones.

“We want students to know they have a resource,” she said.

Jussel said one of the things he is most proud of from his time at WSU is transforming the student conduct standards system into something educationally purposeful.

“This work,” he said, “if you believe in it, can truly transform someone’s life.”

He said they attempted to instill a program that showed a good level of care for students.

“[Students] will walk out of the office and think, ‘I learned something,’ ” Jussel said.

He said he grew to enjoy Pullman in a way he did not think he would when he got here.

Jussel said he will miss the community most when he leaves, as well as the people he met and connected with.

“This place never really leaves you,” he said.