WSU Transportation Services seeks parking fee increase

Additional revenue would support maintenance, repair for garage, parking facilities

Director of Transportation Services John Shaheen says the goal of the transportation program is to reduce drive-alones during an interview Aug. 10, 2017. A new proposed rate increase could take affect this summer.

ALEX PETTIT ESTELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen reporter

A proposed parking rate increase for WSU Transportation Services could take effect on July 1 of this year pending approval by senior staff and WSU President Kirk Schulz.

If implemented, the change would result in fees ranging between 20 cents and $2.49 more a month for annual passes, and between 4 and 32 cents more for daily passes.

The change was recommended by a 15-person transportation task force to pay for repairs and maintenance of four parking garages on campus, elevators within the garages and other transportation expenses, including maintenance for the parking lots, said John Shaheen, director of WSU Transportation Services.

The proposed rate change accounts for the inflating cost of repair and maintenance, Shaheen said. Transportation Services is completely self-supported on

parking fees and tickets, he said, and the cost of maintaining facilities continues to go up each year.

Over the next five years, there is a total of $2.6 million in expenses planned for the maintenance, repairs and replacements of current parking facilities, and $1.2 million planned for improvements including improved garage access and repairs for bike and pedestrian pathways.

“The most expensive part is maintaining our garages, and not just structural components but [also] our elevators,” Shaheen said. “We also have a lot of parking lot access that needs to be maintained.”

Should the fee increase be approved, it is expected to generate slightly more than $100,000 in revenue annually, he said.

The decision on the proposed rate change is expected to come sometime between now and April, Shaheen said.

Transportation services is completely self-reliant for funding, Shaheen said, with no support from grants, student fees, state or federal funding.

“Every year we review with the task force our financial situation and the work that needs to be done to our facilities,” he said. “What drives parking rates is really the maintenance repairs and upkeep of our facilities.”

Those interested in alternative modes of transit are encouraged to join the Coug Commute Advisor Program, Shaheen said, which can help commuters find free or low-cost transportation options even if they live out of town.

“We will come up with a personal commute program for anyone who would like an option besides driving alone,” he said. “There may be some options that [commuters] haven’t considered.”

There is no set time period for public comment, but those who wish to can email [email protected]

The headline of this story has been updated to correctly identify WSU Transportation Services, not Pullman Transportation Services.

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen reporter

Rachel is a senior journalism and media production major from Albion, Washington, and was the news editor for fall 2018. She started working for The Daily...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “WSU Transportation Services seeks parking fee increase”

1. Jeff Hanson on February 7th, 2019 10:39 am

We haven’t used Cost of Living as a basis for increasing wages since pre 2008, we haven’t even come close, why should that be a basis for raising the cost to work here.

2. J. Adrian Aumen on February 7th, 2019 5:44 pm

As Jeff Hanson’s comment likely refers to the WSU Insider article that states: “The new rates… are equivalent to cost of living increases in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 Western Urban Consumer Price Index and are within the allowable limits set forth by the Board of Regents” — I would also question the next sentence in that article: “The proposed increase in permit rates would be the first in four years….” Does it seem a bit misleading to say no rate increases occurred when, in fact, entire lots were reclassified at higher rates and numerous lower-cost spaces were eliminated?
    https://news.wsu.edu/2019/02/06/parking-rate-increases-recommended-pullman-campus/

• WSU Transportation Services seeks parking fee increase

ASWSU lobby team talks Title IX policies with panel

Minh’s Restaurant reopens after flood

Parking passes on sale now

Art piece will celebrate Pullman club’s centennial

WSU students face off in first-ever culinary showcase

Researchers work to decrease salt levels in food, but keep same taste

Senate welcomes new executive officers, approves stipends

Attempted kidnapping case closed

Associate vice president engages in coalition-building

U.S. Senator talks women in leadership, current politics