Pac-12 men’s basketball power rankings — Week 6

February 12, 2019

1. Washington (Last: 1)

A perfect 10-0 start to conference play for the Huskies (19-5, 10-1) ended with a 75-63 loss to Arizona State on Saturday. UW has a chance to get back on track when they cross the Cascades to play red-hot WSU.

2. Arizona State (Last: 2)

Despite a stunning home loss to WSU, the Sun Devils (16-7, 7-4) picked up a win over UW to keep them at second in the power rankings. The Pac-12 might have two March Madness qualifying teams if ASU can consistently deliver.

3. Oregon State (Last: 3)

The Beavers (15-8, 7-4) split their contests with the Bay Area teams this weekend, falling to the Cardinal on Thursday before defeating the Golden Bears on Saturday. The tests get tougher next week, when the Beavers face arch rival Oregon.

4. Utah (Last: 7)

Two wins in Los Angeles, coupled with disastrous weekends for some of the conference’s top teams, catapult the Utes (13-10, 7-4) into the top four. Utah will face a pair of tough tests next week when they host Arizona and Arizona State.

5. Oregon (Last: 8)

The Ducks (15-9, 6-5) soared to the fifth spot in the power rankings with wins over meddling Stanford and Cal. Oregon renews its rivalry with the Beavers this week.

6. USC (Last: 4)

The Trojans (13-11, 6-5) stumbled in a big way, dropping home contests to both Colorado and Utah. A humbled USC side will face Cal and Stanford in the Bay Area this week.

7. Colorado (Last: 10)

The Buffs (14-9, 5-6) continued their up and down season with two wins in Los Angeles. Colorado will welcome the Wildcats and the Sun Devils to Boulder this week.

8. Arizona (Last: 5)

Losses to WSU and UW in the same week should’ve torpedoed the Wildcats (14-10, 5-6), but the lack of quality teams in the conference made it very hard to justify burying them. Arizona must pick up the pieces if they want any chance of besting Utah and Colorado on the road.

9. Stanford (Last: 9)

Despite a 1-1 week against Oregon State and Oregon, the Cardinal (12-11, 5-6) look to make moves next week when they face the LA schools fresh off a 0-4 weekend.

10. UCLA (Last: 6)

Colorado and Utah swept UCLA (12-12, 5-6) and only added to the misery in the City of Angels. The Bruins head north to face Cal and Stanford this week.

11. WSU (Last: 11)

The Cougars (10-14, 3-8) are your 2019 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions. Well, not really, but they did sweep the Arizona schools on the road by double digits, a feat last accomplished by the 1995 National Champion UCLA Bruins. Hey, crazier things have happened. WSU continues its quest for a national title by hosting the Huskies this week in Beasley Coliseum.

12. Cal (Last: 12)

Cal is the only constant in this conference. Sitting at an unbelievable 5-18 after two losses in Oregon, Cal very well might finish the year without a conference win. The Golden Bears will look for signs of life when they play UCLA and USC this week.

SHAWN P. O'CONNOR, Evergreen reporter

Shawn P. O'Connor is a junior broadcasting major from Oak Harbor, Wash., he worked with his local fire department when he was in high school.

The Daily Evergreen • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in