WSU student arrested for alleged trespassing

Tennant says they didn't formally arrest student, scheduled court date

The Evergreen works to provide the best information about recent crime and court updates in the Pullman area.

OLIVER MCKENNA | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

OLIVER MCKENNA | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

OLIVER MCKENNA | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen deputy news editor

Taylor Berglund, a WSU student, was informally arrested on alleged criminal trespass in the first-degree and alleged malicious mischief in the third-degree charges at 8:35 p.m. on Saturday, Pullman Police Cmdr. Chris Tennant said.

Berglund’s former boyfriend called the Pullman Police Department with concerns that she was showing signs of suicidal behaviors, Tennant said.

Tennant said Berglund broke a glass window and threatened to cut herself with the glass shards.

When Pullman Police Officer Alex Gordon reported to the scene it was discovered the case was more of a domestic violence situation than a suicide attempt, Tennant said.

“She was not formally arrested,” Tennant said. “There was a case requesting charges to be made.”

Berglund was informally arrested, which means that she was not handcuffed by an officer. Instead, Berglund will face charges in court, Tennant said.

Berglund will have a court date scheduled.

This story has been updated to reflect the meaning of being informally arrested.

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen assistant news editor

Madysen  is a freshman journalism and media production major from Hunters, Washington. 

1 Comment

One Response to “WSU student arrested for alleged trespassing”

1. Caroline Weller on February 13th, 2019 2:52 am

In the social media policy, it says comments that could cause potential emotional or physical harm are not allowed. I would only hope the articles themselves could follow the same standard. I understand the ins and outs of journalism, but name dropping and only following up on one side of a story shows a level of unprofessionalism I am sure you would not want to be associated with. Skimming the top of stories is not only unprofessional and a probable detriment to your career, but also extremely harmful to others. I believe you have the potential to be a great journalist.. but please go about it in the right way. Go cougs.