Cougar Connections

Devin Trubey Evergreen reporter

Students and alumni looking for their fix of Cougar Gold cheese on the west side of the state have cause for celebration as President Elson S. Floyd implements plans to open a WSU Connections store in Everett.

The city of Everett has pushed for four years to open a WSU branch campus. The creation of the store marks an increase in Cougar pride in the region.

“One of Mayor Ray Stephanson’s top priorities has been expanding higher education opportunities in Everett. The mayor has been successful in helping to bring WSU to Everett, and their presence continues to grow and broaden,” said Meghan Pembroke, public information officer for the city of Everett.

The store will be located downtown at 2809 Colby Avenue and is a part of the downtown revival project, said Mel Taylor, executive director of real estate and local relations.

“We have a lot of Cougar alumni and they are underserved, so it’s great for our alumni,” Taylor said.

The boutique-like store is 1,000 square feet and will feature apparel, tailgating gear, cheese and wine. It will also feature displays of academic, athletic and research achievements. Taylor said it will be a smaller footprint of the Seattle store.

“There is a lot of excitement in North Puget Sound. I have been working on this project for two years and people have been very gracious and kind to me,” said Paul Pitre, campus dean of the northwest Puget Sound area.

Another project set to take place is the changing of hands of the University Center in Everett. WSU is set to take control of the center this year.

“Last fall, WSU Board of Regents approved $10 million for design, pre-engineering and land acquisition for a new university center across from EVCC (Everett Community College) campus,” Pembroke said. “The next step will be a 2015 request to the state legislature for construction funding for the new center. The mayor hopes that we will one day have a WSU branch campus in Everett.”

Currently there are extension offices in Skagit, Island and Snohomish counties and a research station in Mount Vernon, Pitre said.

“We are building on that presence that is already here and becoming much more visible,” he said.