New online career database to replace WSU’s CougLink

LUKE HOLLISTER, Evergreen assistant photo editor

WSU is shifting on July 1 from CougLink to a new job-finding system called Handshake, a program with more employers and job postings and a website similar to Facebook or Pinterest.

Students switching to Handshake will have to create a new password, upload resumes and fill in their profile. Information stored on their CougLink account will not be transferred.

Terese King, director of the Academic Success and Career Center (ASCC), said they are making the change because of Handshake’s cheaper price, as well as complaints about CougLink from WSU students and alumni.

“They found it really difficult to use and navigate,” she said, adding that officials began to question why they were still using a program that people struggle with.

The contract for Handshake costs less than CougLink, King said. Handshake’s cost is based on how often people use it, how many use it and how much the university wants to tailor the program.

“I felt like with CougLink we were nickeled and dimed constantly,” King said. CougLink charged for every customization, she said, about $11,000 per change.

In the decision to switch to Handshake, WSU also relied on feedback from students and alumni who explained the problems they faced with CougLink. Some students said they wished they could link their social media accounts to CougLink, King said.

Jordan Jameson, ASCC student employment coordinator, said Handshake will be more technologically advanced and user-friendly. Users will go through fewer clicks to get to what they want, he said.

Whitney Denney, ASCC program coordinator, said the services in Handshake are basically the same, but agreed that Handshake will be easier to use.

“The main thing I think they’ll see is the different look and feel,” Denney said.

WSU will send an email to students about the change and sign-up process for Handshake. They will also notify alumni.