University launches new app

Mobile platform will have Blackboard, myWSU, transit

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

A new app called WSU Mobile will combine all university-affiliated apps together to provide greater accessibility for students, faculty and staff on campus, said Sasi Pillay, vice president and chief information officer at WSU Information Technology Services (ITS).

The GET food app, myWSU, Blackboard and Pullman Transit are included on this app, he said.

Those using WSU Mobile still have to download WSU-affiliated apps, but people can now access them in one spot on this app, said Jacqueline Southwick, WSU ITS communications coordinator.

“It provides an integrated, one-stop shop for faculty, staff and students to be able to access WSU services,” Pillay said.

He said the app is available for download on Google Play and the Apple Store, with no cost to download or use.

“We call it the mobile ecosystem,” Pillay said, “because it can accommodate applications that student affairs folks are developing.”

He said it is not going to look perfect on day one, which is why ITS employees are working to make this app accommodating.

Southwick said the layout and look of the app depends on if it is an Apple or Android product.

“It has a variety of critical resources for student success,” she said, “the more time passes, the more departments and resources are going to see the value and get involved.”

Southwick said there is a hack-a-thon the weekend of March 22-24. WSU students can create their own apps that may end up  on the WSU Mobile app.

“This app will be not only for faculty, staff and students — we intend to use it to connect with our local communities as well,” Pillay said.

He said WSU Mobile is geared toward the Pullman campus. In the future, ITS wants to expand to campuses like Tri-Cities and Vancouver, so they can access local commodities, like how WSU uses the GET app.

“At this point, the apps has its primary WSU resources,” Southwick said. “If you are a student in a particular college, a narrower audience application may not be available right now because we are trying to make sure we can offer it to the broadest audience possible.”