Letter from the editor: Finding my home away from home

GABRIELLA RAMOS, Evergreen mint editor

I am pleased and excited to announce that I will be taking over as editor-in-chief of The Daily Evergreen for summer and fall 2017.

I joined the Evergreen during the spring of my freshman year, upon being recruited to report for the Life section. Last year at this time, I decided to step into the role of Life editor for the summer and fall. The following spring, I was pleased to find out that Cody Cottier would be the editor-in-chief and I applied to be his managing editor.

Upon touring WSU’s campus in 2015, I had aspirations of sitting in this seat one day and have made a conscious effort to be an inspiring and effective leader for this staff. As a junior, out-of-state strategic communication major from Chicago, The Daily Evergreen newsroom has become my home away from home.

While it is a bit nerve-wracking to be one of the youngest members on staff, I am leading a team of hardworking and honest journalists, photographers and editors, and we will face any challenge that arises as a collective.

For the summer, we will run four sections in our weekly addition: News, Recreation, Mint and Opinion. While we will be straying away from the weekly themes of last summer, the new sections will offer more all-encompassing coverage on the events and activities taking place this summer.

Recreation will have roots in sports and outdoor activities, covering ORC and UREC trips in addition to features on athletes’ summer training routines and game coverage. Mint will be taking over for Life this summer, featuring all things arts and culture on the Palouse with its usual sassy twist. Readers can also look forward to a weekly events calendar.

We will also be revamping our website this summer to provide users with more dynamic visuals, such as easy-to-access sports rosters and schedules.

Online, we will continue to livestream the most important events on Facebook and regularly post our favorite art from featured events on Instagram.

The Daily Evergreen has provided me with so much more than just a place of employment. Through this experience, I have gained professional skills, such as interviewing and working on a daily deadline, that I may not have learned elsewhere. The Evergreen has given me a place to be on campus all the time, in addition to friendships and experiences I will continue to treasure.

I highly encourage students of all majors and experience-levels to come down to the basement of Murrow Hall and grab an application. As intimidating as the daily grind of the newsroom may seem, the Evergreen has something to offer for students of all skill sets, from writing stories to writing code.