Program provides commuting options

Intern says purpose of program is to reduce traffic on main streets

Program provides commuting options

Ahnna McCoy, a WSU Transportation Options intern, explains how she helps students and staff find ways to get to and around campus Tuesday at the CUB.

STEPHEN MURNANE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

STEPHEN MURNANE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

STEPHEN MURNANE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

Coug Commute Advisor is a program that WSU faculty, staff and students can use to plan commutes or look for a different mode of transportation.

Ahnna McCoy, a WSU Transportation Options intern, said there are different types of transportation such as vanpool, walking, Pullman Transit bus, carpool and biking.

“Our goal of the whole Coug Commute Advisor program is to reduce driver loan rates on campus,” she said.

McCoy said the main point of the program is to reduce traffic on the main streets throughout campus. They also want to reduce the carbon footprint, so WSU can be more eco-friendly by using carpools and other kinds of transportation.

“Another thing is to just live a more healthier lifestyle by using a different alternative for transporting someone,” McCoy said.

John Shaheen, the WSU Transportation Services director, said the program can help those who want to consider an alternative to driving alone but are not sure how to approach it.

“It’s a way for us to kind of be more proactive,” Shaheen said.

He said the program originated from a two-prong strategy. One is to reduce demand for parking, and the other is to facilitate parking for those who still want to park. There is also the option for people to use the transportation provided by WSU if they want to save money.

“We don’t want anyone to feel stuck,” Shaheen said.

He said it is part of WSU Transportation Services’ strategy to accommodate for those who really need the transportation. Its main goals are to reduce and mitigate demand but still adjust parking for those who need it.

“It’s not a static thing. It’s a dynamic thing. We want to be able to respond to those changes in people’s lives,” Shaheen said.

McCoy said most employees on campus use the program, but it is open to all students. She said people fill out a survey online about their commute and what it looks like on a daily basis, so WSU Transportation Services can do its best to accommodate everyone’s needs.

“This is promoted more during permit renewals and at the end of the semester,” McCoy said.

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

Kuria is a freshman broadcast news major from Bellevue, Washington.