Student, TA, supervisor juggles responsibilities

Double major, volunteer says she lives through her planner to manage multitasking lifestyle

Sarah+Sherrod%2C+a+senior+double-majoring+in+criminal+justice+and+psychology%2C+talks+about+her+abundant+involvement+in+clubs+and+activities+on+Tuesday+morning+at+the+CUB.+

OLIVIA WOLF | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Sarah Sherrod, a senior double-majoring in criminal justice and psychology, talks about her abundant involvement in clubs and activities on Tuesday morning at the CUB.

ALANA LACKNER, Evergreen managing editor

For Sarah Sherrod, the word “ambitious” doesn’t begin to paint the picture. She exemplifies a student juggling interests.

Sherrod is a WSU senior double-majoring in criminal justice and psychology. She takes the term “involvement” to a whole new level. As assistant hall director of Wilmer-Davis and Stevens, she’s responsible for Hill Hall desk operations and also helps supervise RAs to keep residence halls running smoothly.

This job is a huge time commitment. However, it’s just the beginning of Sherrod’s list. She’s also very involved in UREC and works as a competitive sports supervisor.

Sherrod worked in a dining hall during her freshman year and just didn’t connect with it. She said she needed another job, and fast.

“I hated that job,” she said. “Not that it’s a bad job, but I just had the worst shifts … It was just super tedious, super boring jobs.”

Job prospects began looking up when she was going to the gym one day and saw a sign. They were hiring officials.

“I was always interested in officiating,” Sherrod said, “particularly basketball because I played it my whole life.”

Sherrod worked her way up to lead official and then a supervisor.

“It’s honestly the best job on campus. I could not plug that enough. I love working for UREC … I could be no further from a sports management major, but it’s still a great fit,” she said. “It’s nice to interact with people in a different level. You’re seeing people in their most challenging states, I guess, and you share that bond because I know what that feels like, and I get it. There’s that deeper connection.”

Sherrod is also very active in the YWCA and has been since her freshman year.

“YWCA stands for Young Women’s Christian Association, but it’s not religiously affiliated,” Sherrod said. “It’s a national organization … the women, back when they founded YWCA, they [needed] a way to meet without their husbands knowing, so ‘Christian Association,’ church. They didn’t know they were talking about women’s rights and race issues.”

YWCA focuses on social justice issues, she said. WSU’s is one of only four YWCA chapters on a college campus.

The organization does a lot of work on campus, though people don’t always realize they’re responsible for it, Sherrod said.

“We have our week without violence in October, so if you’ve seen the t-shirts on the mall, we put those up every day and put those down every day for that week,” Sherrod said, “so that’s us.”

YWCA also just finished its Herstory Month, in honor of Black History Month, Sherrod said. They host meetings related to black women who have had an impact throughout history. They also recognize black women in the community and give out awards to community members.

Sherrod’s involvement doesn’t stop here, either. She has an internship with the federal government, as she someday wants to work with the federal government. She’s also a member of the honors college and is working on her undergraduate thesis. She also works on research with a criminal justice professor and works as a teaching assistant.

“I live through my planner,” Sherrod said. “I’m a list person, I check things off … I like staying busy so that’s nice for me.”