Handcrafted original creations bring families together at fair

Wooden Wonders Owner Don Bunch sets up his booth at the 2016 Mom’s Weekend Arts and Crafts Fair.

LATISHA JENSEN | Evergreen reporter

A decades-old tradition brings college families and the Pullman community together this weekend in a venue with one-of-a-kind handcrafted creations at the nationally-recognized Arts and Crafts Fair held in Beasley Coliseum.

When a crafty family couldn’t find a place that would allow them to sell their artwork, they came up with the idea to open their own location for artists of all kinds to sell their work and thus, DLG Enterprises was created.

What started as a small non-profit venue is now, 28 years later, a sought-after fair in the top-10 list of the Pacific Northwest arts and crafts shows, co-owner Ginger Gallagher said.

Gallagher is the daughter of Linda and Don Gallagher. She grew up in a crafty family and became passionate for arts and crafts fairs through her family. She said the fair is high-energy and friendly and she enjoys seeing aspects of college families she doesn’t normally see.

“It gives us a really warm, loving feeling toward all of our loved college students,” Gallagher said. “Many of them [are] with their own mothers or with mothers who are taking several tag-a-longs.”

From hand-sewn baby items and leather wallets to hand-sculpted concrete art, this fair is the perfect spot to find food items with natural ingredients and quality-made products. Visitors can speak with vendors and find out about its journey from the raw to final product, Gallagher said.

“I think that [handwritten cards and handmade gifts] are something lost and forgotten,” Gallagher said. “You can find anything in your budget and you didn’t go to brand X retailer and buy a $5 thing from China.”

They receive local and high-profile vendors from around the country, but they always make room for one to four new vendors each year, Gallagher said.

At least one family member is on-sight at the craft shows, and they are responsible for all the vendors and any problems that may arise, Gallagher said.

“Many people tell us how well done our shows are, both as a vendor and a patron, and we pride ourselves in that,” Gallagher said.

They hold two major crafts shows a year, and this year shoppers can find jewelry made from a wide variety of materials, such as pearls, decorated wine glasses, flavored garlic and cooking oils, homemade soaps and lotions, ceramics, knitted and crocheted items and more.

During the fair, there are samples given out by many vendors and, unlike regular stores, shoppers usually have the option of customizing items, Gallagher said.

“Children and adults of all ages get an open book to ask anything about everything,” Gallagher said. “In a digital age, it’s nice to see all the people interact.”

The craft fair is from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday in the Beasley Coliseum.

“It’s nice to see everyone having a great time,” Gallagher said. “It’s an event filled with smiles — you don’t see anyone with a frown on their face.”