Coug Gala will feature fashion designs, speakers

Public event showcases student work; celebrate Women’s Week at CUB

COURTESY OF VICTOR HERNANDEZ

Designs from students in the department of apparel, merchandising, design and textiles will be showcased at Coug Gala from 7-9 p.m. today in the CUB gallery.

CARSON HOLLAND, Evergreen columnist

The Student Entertainment Board is hosting Coug Gala — Facets of Fashion from 7-9 p.m. today in the Compton Union Building Gallery, featuring two guest speakers from the International Women’s Week Committee.

The Gala will be a celebration for the opening of the “Facets of Fashion” gallery housed in the CUB. The exhibit will feature original clothing designs from the apparel, merchandising, design and textiles program at WSU.

“It will help share what we do in this department,” said Carol Salusso, an associate professor for the apparel, merchandising, design and textiles department. “A lot of students say I didn’t know this department was here … if you don’t know then you don’t know to look.”

“The gallery is around the three facets of fashion: culture, pain and art,” said Victor Hernandez, the SEB executive director of the gallery. “It is to describe how women over the years had to wear fashion as certain pieces.”

“I really love this kind of stuff,” Salusso said. “This is kind of a way for us to be visible and celebrate 35 years of apparel students showing off fashions.”

From 7-8 p.m. the gallery will be open for the public to view the fashion pieces and the exhibit. The event is also catered, and visitors can pick up food and raffle tickets during this open hour. Some of the prizes include posters, AirPods and a Polaroid camera.

Raffle winners will be announced between 8 and 9 p.m. at the same time the speakers for the event present, Hernandez said.

The two speakers for the event will be Carol Salusso representing the apparel, merchandising, design and textiles department, and Jennifer Murray, who will be representing the International Women’s Week Committee.

“This is celebrating the fact that students want to be creative,” Salusso said. “They don’t want just a job, they want a job that they can enjoy.”

The Coug Gala is from 7-9 p.m. today in the CUB gallery and CUB auditorium. Admission to the event is free for all students.

“It is a party, there is free food and raffles, there are a bunch of students celebrating,” Salusso said. “A lot of students are feeling a little tired, so students need to kick back and let others entertain them.”