Spokane stands out, students say

Nearby city holds special place in students’ hearts; that’s why it won this year’s award for best weekend getaway

Spokane+is+the+second-largest+city+in+Washington%2C+and+its+only+an+hour-and-a-half+from+Pullman.+

COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Spokane is the second-largest city in Washington, and it’s only an hour-and-a-half from Pullman.

CARSON HOLLAND, Evergreen columnist

What is it about Spokane, Washington that won the city best weekend getaway in this year’s Students’ Choice Awards? The city of Spokane is about an hour and a half away from Pullman, and many use the city as a getaway from our small college town.

“Riverfront Park is big,” said Olivia Willis, a freshman neuroscience and psychology major. “You should go on the carousel, walk around, see the river and the falls.”

Riverfront Park is a green space in the middle of downtown Spokane that was recently renovated. Gondolas take people over the Spokane River and the waterfalls that run alongside the park. Riverfront Park also serves as a gateway to the rest of downtown where there are numerous shops and restaurants.

“There was a bunch of really cute local places,” said Haley Morris, a freshman biochemistry major. “We went to a record shop. We went to Hello Sugar, a little doughnut place.”

Spokane recently had an uptick in small businesses openings, including doughnut shops, cafes, book stores and everything in between. If you have the urge to go shopping, then Spokane is a short drive.

“It feels like a city, but it doesn’t feel scary,” Morris said. “People feel kind … it is larger, with more people than Pullman, with a lot more to do.”

If you run out of shops to go to, then Spokane is also home to many events. The city plays host to concerts, art exhibits, comedians and more. It also is home to numerous sports teams like Spokane Chiefs hockey, Gonzaga basketball and the minor league baseball Spokane Indians.

“There is a lot of hiking,” Willis said. “Bowl and Pitcher is really cool. Everyone loves that. And of course, there is Mount Spokane.”

As the weather warms up, activities outside become more popular. Spokane has lots of hiking trails in and around the city. Numerous lakes are within a short twenty-minute drive if you want to swim or go boating.

“It is an easy place to get away without stressing too much about being far from school,” Morris said.

If you are looking to get out of Pullman for a weekend or day trip, consider a trip to Spokane, Washington.

“It was a really cool experience, and it was nice to get away from Pullman for a little bit,” Morris said.