Sandwich shop offers cozy atmosphere

Owners to celebrate almost two decades of operation in April

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Owner Jonathon McCabe shares his vision for the future of Heros N Sports on Monday at the shop. He said its paninis and attitude make it unique to Pullman.

ZACH GOFF, Evergreen reporter

Heros N Sports has been a staple of the Pullman community for 19 years this month, said the shop owner.

When owner Jonathon McCabe first opened the shop with Jacqueline McCabe, Heros N Sports featured sports cards. While the shop is more focused on food now, there are still about 650,000 cards in the collection, according to the shop’s website.

“Our customers get a little more TLC,” Jonathon said. “We aren’t just punching the clock, doing my time today. People are invested in the business.”

Manager Mackenzie Vogel said the shop gets a lot of regulars, but its location is especially convenient for students near Greek row.

“Since we are in downtown, people stay here during the break and come down [from campus],” Vogel said.

The shop strives to feel homely and give customers the best experience possible, Jonathon said. Heros N Sports is one of the few places in Pullman to get a panini, which the restaurant has served since it first opened. But he said the daily homemade soup is also a crowd-pleaser.

“We are one of the only places that make homemade soup,” Jonathon said. “I’ve been making it every day for 40 years.”

It’s because of their customer service that the shop has so many regulars, Jonathon said, many of whom are locals rather than students.

“We get a lot of regulars, like a lot,” Vogel said. “Probably half the people that walk through the door we know what they’re eating.”

Vogel said the most popular items on the menu are probably the Sante Fe Panini and the Palouse Blaster. The panini consists of turkey, bacon, pepper jack cheese, tomato, onions, jalapenos, lettuce and chipotle ranch on cheesy bread. The blaster has ham, salami, pepperoni, cajun turkey, provolone and pepper jack cheese.

“They have a lot of flavor. We have a certain percentage that always gets that,” Vogel said.

Vogel and Jonathon agree that part of the reason the shop has been successful is that they are close to campus but not on campus.

“If you’re on campus, you gotta have something to really draw locals into your place,” Jonathon said.

Heros N Sports is on 245 NE Kamiaken St. and is open Monday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.