Letter from the Mint editor: Celebrate mom’s weekend with simple activities

Take time away from busy events to relax with your mom; let her see what your college experience is like

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen mint editor

Welcome, once again, to the Minty-freshest section around. We’re rocking a Mom’s Weekend theme today as we anticipate the arrival of thousands of Cougar parents on campus.

This is my first Mom’s Weekend ever, and I don’t quite know what to expect.

I’ve heard the rumors about moms going wild. WSU, which is already somewhat of a party school to begin with, parties even harder when moms are in town. The parking lots and hotels will be packed, as will the bars.

The number of people at Cougar Health Services for STD testing on the Sunday of Mom’s Weekend is abnormally high. Coincidence? I think not.

My mom is one of the many driving over from the west side for the weekend.

I promised her a delightfully boring time here in Pullman, but for some reason she didn’t want to sit around and watch me study all weekend.

Thankfully, there are plenty of events going on that don’t involve staring at a physics textbook for hours on end. The Daily Evergreen has a Mom’s Weekend special edition coming out tomorrow that will showcase a lot of the fun and free events you can take your mom to in the next few days.

I’ve compiled a list of some favorite activities to do with mom, a mother figure or friends this weekend to simplify your scheduling.

1. Take a tour of your favorite buildings on campus

Even if your mom has been to WSU before, she would probably love to see it through your eyes. Hearing about where you have classes and spend your free time gives her insight into your college experience.

Take a break from the busy schedule of events and just enjoy time with your mom walking around campus and looking at all the unique structures.

I’ll be dragging my mom to Thompson Hall to gaze upon the red brick facade and singular towering cone. This is also a great place to watch the sunset if the skies are clear.

1. Check out downtown Pullman

This is a convenient fifteen-minute walk from campus and there are plenty of shops and restaurants your visitors are sure to enjoy.

Show your mom where you study in Daily Grind or what your favorite pizza is at Porch Light Pizza.

This activity serves a dual purpose. Your mom gets to see your favorite places and you might be able to convince her to buy you food.

1. Float down Grand Avenue on an air mattress raft

Grab anything that floats and head downtown for a wild rafting experience. I’m sure this wise choice would make your mother proud of your decisions in college.

I’m kidding, of course. With the rain that’s expected this week, be sure to drive safe and choose your routes carefully. There is no need to unnecessarily worry any moms while they’re here.

Whatever you decide to do with your mom this weekend, make the most of the time you get to spend with her. There are plenty of events to attend but don’t deny the simplicity of just sitting and talking together. Let your mom see what your college experience is like, even if that means hanging out and watching the sunset one night.