Students exhibit designs in annual fashion show

Event theme is ‘emerge,’ clothing inspired by philosophy, death

“His designs tend to have a pretty unique aesthetic,” AMDT associate professor Carol Salusso says. “He brings together fabrics you wouldn’t assume would go together so they have a freshness.

“His designs tend to have a pretty unique aesthetic,” AMDT associate professor Carol Salusso says. “He brings together fabrics you wouldn’t assume would go together so they have a freshness."

COURTESY OF SOVANN ROBINSON

COURTESY OF SOVANN ROBINSON

COURTESY OF SOVANN ROBINSON

TRINITY PIERCE, Evergreen reporter

The 36th annual Mom’s Weekend Fashion Show will premiere at 6 p.m. Friday in Beasley Coliseum.

Tickets bought in advance cost $15, while tickets bought at the door cost $20. There will also be a beer and wine garden hosted from 5:00 to 5:45 p.m. before the show.

The theme for this year’s fashion show is “Emerge.” According to Katie Ellis, one of the senior designers for the show, they searched for a long time for the perfect word to describe the show. After much deliberation, they settled on “Emerge” because they felt it personified what they, as new designers, were trying to do.

“We are trying to emerge into the fashion industry,” Ellis said. “We are trying to make a mark on our years here, and we’re really trying to go above and beyond what our hopes and dreams are.”

Madison Norman, another senior designer, said the word also felt personal to her own experiences.

“ ‘Emerge’ means to me finally coming out of my own skin and figuring out who I am,” Norman said.

However, to the senior designers, the theme isn’t the most important part; rather, the line of clothing that they’ve designed speaks truer to their personality and philosophies.

In the case of Norman, she has taken some personal philosophy and translated it into her designs. For the show, her clothes are inspired by “Danse Macabre,” or the “Dance of Death,” a philosophy that focused on the universal reality of death regardless of gender, religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity. Norman loves a bit of drama in her designs.

“My passion and kind of craziness — I think that’s what translates to my designs is just my theatrical side. I want to go into haute couture, which is more art over fashion,” Norman said. “I just want people, when they do wear my clothing, to feel the best that they’ve ever felt.”

Meanwhile, the major inspiration for Ellis’ designs in the show came from her experience studying abroad in London, U.K. While she was there, she fell in love with the architecture. In particular, she developed a fondness for St. Paul’s Cathedral.

“Seeing the beautiful artwork of the sculptures, and the ceiling, and so much gilded gold and [it was] just so luxurious and beautiful,” Ellis said. “That was why I decided to name my collection ‘The Cathedral’ and really try and use that gilded gold aspect [and] beautiful elegance in my designs.”

For undergraduates interested in participating in a later Mom’s Weekend Fashion Show, Ellis has three tips. Her first tip was to start as soon as possible.

“Get your swatches way early on. Do that like first semester,” Ellis said.

Her second tip was to just start writing designs down instead of worrying about the specifics.

“My last one would be you do spend all night here [Johnson Hall, Room 113], you don’t go to bed sometimes. So, get an espresso machine,” Ellis said.

TRINITY PIERCE, Evergreen reporter

Trinity Pierce is a freshman journalism and media production major from College Place, WA.