People of the Palouse: Local influencer believes Pullman music scene is flourishing

Horhay Hendrix is known for throwing parties; student always wanted to be a Coug, loves being involved with organizations

JOSEPH GARDNER | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

George Hendrix, great nephew of Jimi Hendrix, discusses how much he enjoys music on Tuesday in the CUB. He works as a DJ in Pullman, and says he’s almost always listening to music. “I have a lot of friends who DJ, rap or sing, and people here like working together and collaborating on their songs,” he says.

MILA WIDMAYER, Evergreen columnist

From Seattle, George “Horhay” Hendrix has been actively participating in WSU events since his first week of freshman year.

“Being here made me really outgoing,” Hendrix said. “Freshman year, I was everywhere — I went to all the campus events like ‘Up All Night’ and ‘Week Of Welcome.’ I was eager to get involved, I just wanted to do more events and be a part of the WSU community.”

As a marketing major, Hendrix said he enjoys the planning process for concerts and parties. He took part in the promotion of different events around the Palouse and other parts of Eastern Washington.

“I host big events,” Hendrix said. “I’ve thrown Halloween parties every year, and I’ve created a Snapchat page called ‘Horhay’s WSU Snap Parties’ … I’ve made my own system so people know where the function is every weekend.”

As the great-nephew of Jimi Hendrix, he has been surrounded by music for the majority of his life. While he doesn’t spend too much time creating music of his own, many of Hendrix’s friends at WSU make beats, play instruments and sing.

“Music is a big influence in my life,” Hendrix said. “I’m not that musically inclined myself. I can’t really sing or rap … I used to play guitar when I was younger, my mom made me.”

Hendrix plans on joining the music industry as an artist manager after his time in Pullman.

“I want to be someone that works backstage,” Hendrix said.

Growing up in South Seattle, Hendrix said Pullman was a major shift from city life. Instead of succumbing to homesickness, Hendrix took the Palouse by storm and involved himself in different organizations.

“I always wanted to be a Coug,” Hendrix said. “Growing up with my family it’s always been WSU or the University of Washington. If I would have stayed in Seattle and went to UW, I would have had to live at home. I wanted to get out.”

Unknown to many, Hendrix swears the music-making community in the Palouse is flourishing.

“The music scene in Pullman is amazing,” Hendrix said. “Personally I have a lot of friends who DJ, rap or sing, and people here like working together and collaborating on their songs a lot more than anywhere else.”

Other than the extreme weather and lack of true seasons, Hendrix has no complaints with his transition to Pullman.

“I love the Palouse,” Hendrix said. “I took field trips out here before college and I loved the town a lot, so I knew that coming to WSU was what I wanted to do.”