WSU celebrates turning 127

The Student Alumni Ambassadors celebrate WSU’s 127 Birthday on Crimson and Gray Day, their oldest-standing event, with free Coug cake for all.

Rebecka Bence, president of the Student Alumni Ambassadors club and fourth-generation Coug, said she has embodied the Cougar spirit her entire life.

“You can never really know what it means to be a Coug until you’re here,” Bence said. “I had expectations for college and WSU, but I didn’t really except them to all be fulfilled and then more.”

She said the mission of the club is to define the heritage of WSU today and to keep old traditions alive. They do this by continuing to celebrate WSU’s birthday through Crimson and Gray Day, since the mid-1980’s.

“This birthday is remembering all the students that have come before you and all the great things they have done and are continuing to do in the world,” Bence said. “You’re celebrating an institution that will always, for me, be part of me and my identity.”

Rebecca Poslin, vice president of the Student Alumni Ambassadors club, said Crimson and Gray Day is bigger than usual this year because of the club’s work with marketing to help build the foundation of the event.

Poslin said she enjoys connecting with members of the club and seeing them get involved with the community.

“I get to interact with students from different majors with all different backgrounds, who have this core love and appreciation for WSU and its history, faculty and its alumni,” Bence said. “I will always be a WSU Coug and I’ll let that be known.”

The club fundraises throughout the year to prepare for events similar to Crimson and Gray Day where they work with CUB catering, which makes the 15-20 cakes provided for free, Bence said.

“I just enjoy the free cake and everybody’s face when their like, ‘Wait there’s no strings attached to this cake, you just get it?’” Poslin said.

Crimson and Gray Day cake will be served from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. tomorrow on Glenn Terrell Mall.

“[Crimson and Gray Day] is celebrating WSU’s birthday and everything about being a Coug,” Poslin said. “It’s important to enjoy being a Coug for a minute.”