Finding the right sound with the flugelhorn

Dmitri Matheny experimented on his trumpet to find the right sound before discovering the flugelhorn.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”1d4816ce-0234-11e7-a521-17be64e0ccc7″}}

When he was young, Dmitri Matheny was never satisfied with the sound he got from playing trumpet. It was not dark or rich enough. When he picked up the flugelhorn, an instrument similar to the trumpet, but with a larger bore and wider tubing that produces a darker sound, he found the tone he desired.

“When I was a kid, I did some horrible things to my trumpet to get it to produce the sound I wanted,” Matheny said. “I stuffed it full of socks, I rubbed the polish off, then someone suggested the flugelhorn to me and I fell in love.”

Matheny will share the tone of his flugelhorn with WSU students and faculty on Wednesday. He worked with WSU jazz instructor Brian Ward, the coordinator of this event, a few summers ago and said he is looking forward to working with him again.

“I’m really excited to see Brian again because he has such a creative approach,” Matheny said. “I can’t wait to perform with the rest of the faculty as well, and to interact with the students. I love the exchange and sharing of ideas with young musicians that comes with a live performance at a college.”

Ward said he is not only happy to get to work with his friend again, but also to have Matheny offer his knowledge to WSU students. Matheny studied under Art Farmer, a renowned jazz musician who specialized on the trumpet and flugelhorn as well. Ward said he believes Matheny will be able to pass this wisdom on.

“He’s got a lot to offer to the students,” Ward said. “We’re always going to invite someone who plays really well, but we also want to bring someone who would be good for the students to interact with; Dmitri is that kind of musician. He’s very open and he has a lot of knowledge that the students could benefit from.”

Ward and Matheny both said they believe it’s essential for students to experience live music. Ward explained that music is not only heard, but also felt and seen.

The role of live music is to help people experience a creative moment in life that will never be perfectly recreated, Matheny said.

“I think a lot of the things we do in life are like rehearsal,” Matheny said. “We’re preparing ourselves for the next thing in life. When we’re experiencing music and art, we get to just live in the moment. We’re shaken out of the rehearsal and able to live life.”

Ward said he believes the students will benefit greatly from this performance, and that viewing Matheny’s take on jazz will be moving.

“I hope that they’ll get to experience a different side of jazz,” Ward said. “They’ll get to hear someone, like Dmitri, who’s taken many years to develop and find their own voice in jazz. I’m hoping that they’ll be inspired by that.”

Dmitri Matheny will perform with WSU music faculty members such as Greg Yasinitsky, Brad Ard, Dave Snider, Dave Jarvis and Brian Ward. They will perform pieces composed by a few of the faculty members, as well as timeless classics, Matheny said. They will take the stage at 7 p.m. on Wednesday in Kimbrough 101. Admission is free and open to the public.

“Every now and then you get a transcendent experience with music – where you’re a vessel and the music is playing you,” Matheny said. “It’s a magical moment and I always hope when I perform to achieve that experience. Something happens and everything just works. It’s a perfect moment that only the listener and the performer get to experience.”