USC silences Cougars

Trojans starting pitcher tosses complete game shutout to secure 4-0 win

Freshman+catcher+Bradley+Polinsky+swings+his+bat+during+the+game+against+Oregon+on+Apr.+12+at+Bailey-Brayton+Field.+

JACOB BERTRAM | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman catcher Bradley Polinsky swings his bat during the game against Oregon on Apr. 12 at Bailey-Brayton Field.

SAM GRANT, Evergreen reporter

WSU baseball was shut down 4-0 by USC on Thursday night in Los Angeles in the opener of a three-game series.

USC junior right-handed pitcher Connor Lunn threw a complete game shutout, tossing five strikeouts and only giving up four hits to the Cougars.

The Trojans (16-20, 7-9), who beat Pepperdine 5-2 on Tuesday, came into the matchup with momentum and took the lead in the bottom of the second inning.

Freshman left-handed pitcher Ky Bush started for the Cougars (8-26, 1-12) and got in a jam in the second inning. The Trojans offense managed to get two runners on base and a single brought a run home to give USC a 1-0 lead.

USC continued to build its lead as they put Bush into another jam in the third and scored another run to take a 2-0 advantage.

Bush was pulled after three solid innings, giving up two earned runs on six hits. He was replaced by sophomore left-handed pitcher Bryce Moyle.

The Trojans defense and Lunn was stout throughout the game, keeping the Cougars scoreless.

USC would pile on a pair of runs in the bottom of the eighth inning on an RBI single and a WSU error. The Trojans led 4-0 and kept it that way in the ninth to secure their second straight win.

The Cougars will look to bounce back in game two of the series 6 p.m. Friday at Dedeaux Field.