Bomb scare reports in Pullman and Moscow

Police, bomb squad are investigating into device found in Pullman



A local pedestrian reported seeing a suspicious device on the west side of Pullman Playfields, early Sunday morning. Pullman Police Department confirmed the device was a homemade pipe bomb.

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

Three possible bombs in the Pullman and Moscow area were reported to local police within the last two weeks.

Pullman Police Cmdr. Chris Tennant said a pedestrian called police around 8 a.m. Sunday and reported seeing a suspicious device at City Playfield park.

“There’s a series of three fields, and behind the bike path are some electrical boxes,” he said. “That was the location of the pipe bomb, and we had three officers respond.”

Tennant said officers photographed the device and sent the pictures to the Explosives Disposal Unit, also known as the Spokane bomb squad.

He said EDU arrived on the scene around 10 a.m. and deactivated the device.

“It had what appeared to be explosives inside,” Tennant said. “It was found to be a homemade explosive device.”

He said Pullman police and the EDU are investigating the device.

“At this point of time, it’s early in the investigation and we have more questions than we have answers,” Tennant said.

Moscow Police Chief James Fry said there was only one explosive device found in Moscow. The suspicious device found Tuesday was not explosive, he said.

Fry said the explosive device in Moscow was found last week by a local who was cleaning out a trailer.

“It just wrapped in black plastic, like black tape. There was no pipe attached to it, but it had a fuse,” he said. “It looked like it was a roll of black tape taped up in a tubular form.”

Fry said he does not know if the device would have been ignited to explode. He said the FBI picked up the device.

Later, a pedestrian walking down South Jefferson Street reported a suspicious device to Moscow police, Fry said. Officers sent a picture of the device to the EDU, which arrived around two hours later.

“They thought it was suspicious enough to send a crew out and do what they do to determine whether it was anything or if it was just a piece of junk,” Fry said. “It was a broken clock.”

Fry said the clock looked suspicious enough for the EDU to examine it, but there were no explosives attached it the device.

Tennant said locals should notify the police immediately if they see a suspicious device.

“The first thing to do is back up and call 911. Don’t pick it up, don’t manhandle it and don’t take it apart,” he said. “Just call 911, we’ll come out and we’ll evaluate it … that’s what we do.”

Editor’s note: This article was amended to clarify there were bomb scares, not bomb threats.