School of Music introduces new policy

Sophia+Tegart%2C+Clinical+Assistant+Professor+of+Flute+at+WSU%2C+shares+in+the+excitement+that+her+colleagues+had+when+they+received+the+gear+to+livestream%2C+Tuesday+afternoon+in+Kimbrough+Music+Hall.+

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Sophia Tegart, Clinical Assistant Professor of Flute at WSU, shares in the excitement that her colleagues had when they received the gear to livestream, Tuesday afternoon in Kimbrough Music Hall.

ABBY DARR, Evergreen reporter

The WSU School of Music is implementing a policy change to provide livestreaming of all ensemble, solo and faculty recital performances.

Staff and students anticipate the change will let students engage with the musical programs offered through the music school. This is something potential new audiences did not have the opportunity to attend in person in the past.

“I think the extra changes the School of Music is going through to show, ‘Hey, we care, we want people to hear you perform’ reinforces the specialness for them,” said Sophia Tegart, clinical assistant professor of flute and music history.

The School of Music collaborated with the Academic Outreach and Innovation unit to make livestreaming the programs a possibility. They helped with gathering equipment and setting up the program for this next school year, Tegart said.

Also, most of the efforts to make livestreaming a reality for WSU were completed by Sandra Albers, the performing arts facilities coordinator.

Albers spent the summer “tracking all the resources down and setting it [the program] up,” Tegart said.

“[This is] an effort to make the concerts more accessible and to provide families and students with the ability to view concerts they might not otherwise see,” Tegart said.

Tegart said the department worried about attendance to live performances dropping but the new policy brings a more extensive audience.

“[Drops in attendance] has always been a concern [but] live concerts are more exciting, more social, you can go with your friends or your family,” Tegart said.

During a test of livestreamed concerts done during the spring of last semester, the music school did not experience drops in attendance to live music shows, but many more people far from the WSU campus logged on and were exposed to the musical performances, Tegart said.

“WSU strives for its students to have a global impact, so by streaming the concerts you are reaching more people,” said Meg Fritz, a music composition major and member of the WSU marching band.

Livestreaming provides students with the opportunity to share the school’s creations, Fritz said. This allows students with family and friends far from Pullman to experience the concerts normally unavailable unless on campus.

“If you livestream a performance then you are missing the energy in the room and how people react to the performance,” Fritz said. “The School of Music’s job is to give the spirit of the campus.”

The WSU School of Music is excited to implement the livestreaming policy change to make music by the students and faculty more accessible to a broader audience.

“The School of Music is very proud of what we do,” Tegart said. “We want people to experience the music we are putting out there and be exposed to all of the hard work we put into our performances.”