WSU program to host welcome back event for Native American students

Barbecue to feature DJ entertainment, traditional dancer

Native American programs will host a barbecue event to welcome back Native American Students on Aug. 28 at the Elson S. Floyd Cultural Center. Event will feature a DJ and a traditional performance by Supaman.

COURTESY OF JOELLE BERG

ANDREA GONZALEZ, Evergreen reporter

Native American programs will hold a barbecue event to welcome back Native American students from 4:30-7:00 p.m. on Aug. 28 at the Elson S. Floyd Cultural Center.

Joelle Berg, organizer of the event, said there will be food for attendees and entertainment provided by a DJ.

Supaman a Native American performer who creates his own music will also perform at the event in his traditional regalia, Berg said.

She said the event will be held to make Native American students feel at home, provide a sense of belonging, celebrate their accomplishments, and meet other students on campus.

Aaron Burns, junior bioengineering major, said he will attend the event because he wants to get the feeling of being around other Native Americans while meeting new people from different tribes and learning about their traditions.

Burns, who is an out-of-state student, said that to him it’s important to have a support system.

“It’s refreshing to be around people who you don’t have to explain what you’re saying,” Burns said.

He said he looks forward to meeting other Native American students.

Dominick Joseph, junior strategic communication major, said he has attended the Native American Center for about a year-and-a half. He said these events create a sense of community.

“The people here are amazing and they’ve done nothing but help me and help others and provide resources to help everyone around us,” Joseph said.

He said he looks forward to meeting Supaman and new people.

The event is open to the public, faculty, campus partners, staff, and other students are welcome to attend, Berg said.