Cougs travel to take on the Buffaloes

Then-junior guard Pinelopi Pavlopoulou looks for an open teammate down court in a game against the Washington Huskies on Jan. 22.

The WSU women’s basketball team (9-12, 4-6) hit the road and will take on Colorado (12-9, 2-8) tonight.

The Cougars had lost four games in a row before beating California on Sunday and look to start a winning streak heading into this weekend’s matchups.

“Absolutely,” WSU Head Coach June Daugherty said when asked if the Cougars could gain their momentum back this weekend. “(It’s the) beauty of playing in the Pac-12 and the best conference in America.”

The Cougars are excited about the chance to get back to .500 in conference play with a series sweep this weekend. Injuries have plagued the team this year with junior forward Louise Brown, sophomore forward Borislava Hristova, and freshman guards Cameron Fernandez and Chanelle Molina all being listed as out. Brown and Hristova were two of the three leading scorers on the team.

“We’re actually into our third-team,” Daugherty said. “Some (players) are more ready than others; the key is to get them all ready.”

The Cougars had high aspirations to start the year when they were fully healthy, had beaten Nebraska and had played toe-to-toe with now No. 3 ranked Maryland. Despite the tough stretch of games lately, the players are focused and ready to bounce back.

“I think despite the injuries, this team continues to prove to one another every day that if we truly put our minds to it, we are capable of doing very great things,” sophomore guard Alexys Swedlund said.

With three key injuries, veteran players and younger players all knew their roles would change.

“My role in the team has changed a lot with all the injuries,” senior forward Ivana Kmetovska said. “As a senior, I try to stay positive, support my teammates no matter what, and bring energy to help keep the team moving forward.”

The Cougars have struggled in road games this season (1-7). The team has showed signs of playing well on the road, but also admits their shortcomings, Coach Daugherty said.

“Don’t worry about who’s in the stands,” she said. “If you’re a focused basketball player, you don’t care where you play, you just want to play.”

As far as the matchup with Colorado, the Buffaloes have struggled as of late, losing six of their last seven games. Overall, the team still has a solid home record (9-4) and poses to be a difficult task for the Cougs on the road.

“Their guards shoot the ball very, very well,” Daugherty said. “It’s a great opportunity to go out there and improve yourself against the best.”

The Cougars know this weekend is key to carrying momentum through the rest of the Pac-12 season.

“We physically have the capabilities, thanks to our coaches, to come together and win some big-time basketball games,” Swedlund said. “At this point, it is just within ourselves to believe that.”

The Cougars will tip off against Colorado at 5 p.m. tonight. Live coverage of the game can be viewed on the Pac-12 Networks.

The Cougars had lost four games in a row before beating California on Sunday and look to gain momentum heading into this weekend’s matchups.

“Don’t worry about who’s in the stands. If you’re a focused basketball player, you don’t care where you play, you just want to play,” she said.

“Their guards shoot the ball very, very well. It’s a great opportunity to go out there and improve yourself against the best,” Daugherty said.