Get involved with events by student organizations

Shane Mulligan plays ukulele at Coug Spotlight, held by SEB on Jan. 26.

JOSH MAASBERG, Evergreen columnist

There is a lot more to experiencing college than classroom lectures and the occasional exam.

Even though it can be easy to keep your involvement outside of class at a minimum, seeking out resources and being a part of something is a much more rewarding experience.

Between the activities that Student Involvement, ASWSU, the Student Entertainment Board (SEB) and the more than three hundred other Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) provide, you’ll definitely find something that piques your interest — but only if you challenge yourself to be curious enough and perhaps a little brave.

On campus, there are many students with similar interests who are actively looking to be a part of a larger community or event. Unfortunately, those same students often write off the opportunities they would otherwise enjoy because of misconceptions that they might have about how “cool” it is, said Berto Cerrillo, assistant director of Student Involvement.

“Students should step out of their comfort zones and experience something they aren’t used to once in a while,” Cerrillo said. “There are unique events and engaging alternative ways to spend time provided by the school that students are missing out on.”

I attended a Game of Thrones watch party last year, hosted by SEB and I can confirm that I was particularly surprised by how enjoyable it really was.

I texted a few friends when I initially heard about it and we decided we had nothing better to do, so we gave it a shot.

They gave out food, everyone got official HBO merchandise, and we were entered in a ticket raffle to win complete box set editions of the series. All we had to do was show up with our student ID cards.

After that, my perception of the regularly hosted events around campus completely changed. It was exciting to give them the benefit of the doubt and ultimately realize how enjoyable they are.

Activities hosted by student organizations also have a certain comforting authenticity to them that facilitates a friendly, interactive environment. By participating in campus events and student organizations, I’ve been able to make lasting friendships and share memorable experiences with people I otherwise wouldn’t have.

Concerts, art galleries, guest speakers, comedy events, movie nights, raffles, giveaways, debates and so much more are offered all the time. Get involved; be a part of something bigger next time you’re bored at home and seek opportunities that can be fun, exciting and help you grow as a person.

Residence Hall Association (RHA) President Cameron Church echoed similar sentiment.

“All my friends now are people that I have met along the way,” Church said. “So student involvement to me is very personal.”

Some people don’t have these opportunities, and you won’t have them forever either.

Josh Maasberg is a sophomore political science major from Murrieta, California. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.

• Get involved with events by student organizations

National ban of hard alcohol in fraternities won’t reduce incidents

Falling victim to self-victimization

Diversity makes us stronger, able to communicate with others

Brett Kavanaugh: a necessary nonpartisan

Debunking seltzer myths

Coug Bikes needs better marketing for it to be useful

‘Believe in something, because it may save your career’

Women need to be more active in local, national politics

Support renewable energy in Washington

Disconnect between students, administration