Local school district addresses vaping

Pullman Public Schools implements resources to teach parents about concerns

Local school district addresses vaping

Shannon Focht, communications coordinator for Pullman Public Schools, says they offer various resources on their Facebook page for education on the health concerns associated with vaping.

JOSEPH GARDNER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

JOSEPH GARDNER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

JOSEPH GARDNER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

CHANDLER NGUYEN, Evergreen reporter

New concerns over the safety of vaping are beginning to draw the attention of Pullman public schools. As vaping continues to be popular with high school students as an alternative to smoking, the struggle to ensure the health of students has become a challenge.

Studies from the National Institute on Drug Abuse along with the Center for Disease Control and The Truth Initiative are linking serious lung conditions and possible neurological conditions to vaping, as well as an increased likelihood of nicotine addiction. The biggest concern for educators is the recent medical reports that have come out showing the major health concerns of vaping.

Shannon Focht, communications coordinator for Pullman Public Schools, said a goal of the school district is to reduce student vaping.

“The concerns around vaping are seen just as much here in Pullman as anywhere else,” she said.

Focht said the programs available to limit vaping at Pullman High School are focused on educating staff and family members on the possible dangers of vaping.

“We have several resources on our district Facebook page that most of our parents are active on,” she said.

Vaping is now a unit in the Pullman High School’s health curriculum. Focht said the staff is receiving more training regarding how to teach students about the dangers of vaping.

“The goal of Pullman Public Schools is to educate students and families on the many negative effects of vaping until we can get it down to zero,” she said.

Isabella Berglund, a freshman at WSU from Vancouver, Washington, said that over half the students were vaping in her high school. She said school administrators took measures like removing doors from the bathrooms to monitor students.

She said she wasn’t aware of the major health concerns associated with vaping until recently.

“If you would have asked me in June, I wouldn’t be able to tell you,” Burgland said.

Focht said as more studies and cases show the dangers of vaping, more attention will have to be diverted into public schools especially high schools.