Letter from the Mint editor: all the eats to eat

JENNIFER LADWIG, Former Evergreen mint editor

I have heard that food equals morale, but it wasn’t until I was editor-in-chief last semester that I learned how true this statement is. It doesn’t matter what the ailment, whether it be a sore throat, cramps, an upcoming test or general pissy-ness, there is some sort of consumable product that will help.

However, college students tend to be pretty bad about making good food choices. We are finally able to buy food for ourselves, so what do we buy? The sugary cereal, chocolate milk and frozen tater tots.

Maybe this is just me, but I like to use the impending doom of a test to justify buying that expensive coffee or getting a bag of candy. Treating yourself once in a while is great, but in college, there seems to be something stressful around every corner. Soon, that cheat day turns into a cheat week, and pretty soon, four years have passed and your pants don’t fit.

For those of you who haven’t gained those 15 pounds, who love the gym and get some sort of high from working out, congrats, you are the person I shall never be. But, to all college students out there who love Top Ramen (or it’s all you can afford), this Mint is for you.

I have never had much love for the good old-fashioned Top Ramen, with just the regular pack of seasoning mixed in lukewarm noodles. However, once you realize that you can branch out with your ramen creations, the options are limitless. You can choose not to use the flavor packet and mix it with meat, you can use other fancy sauces. Or, as a personal favorite, you can just use cheese.

So the next time the only edible substances you have in your cupboard are a pack of Top Ramen and Sriracha sauce, go crazy.

There are also these pretty cool places around campus called dining halls that make yummy food for you. Some items are better than others, but as a freshman you get to think you’re getting free food when you’re using your RDA to pay for it. There’s a lot that goes into deciding the meals the dining halls serve, and the chefs make sure to provide options for people with dietary restrictions.

So, food is good, and we have a lot of options for food things on campus. But don’t forget that you can make food for yourself, too. For example, I have perfected the grilled cheese and soup dinner. You can even get fancy and make Crock-Pot dishes or three-course meals.

Food is important, we need it to survive, and it tastes good. So next time you go to the dining hall or the grocery store, think about what food you should be making, be critical about what you need and be as frugal as possible, because money is scarce in these parts, people.

Jennifer Ladwig is a senior communication major from Washougal. She can be contacted at [email protected].