Science festival offers chance to connect

Over 50 clubs come together to entice, recruit new members

AMAECHI MORDI | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Fall festival attendees speak to Bridgette Bacon, apparel, merchandising, design and textiles major, on Thursday at Spillman Plaza.

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen roots editor

Several clubs, including the Raptor Club, participated at the annual College of Agricultural, Human and Natural Resource Sciences Fall Festival Thursday afternoon.

The event provided students and faculty a chance to talk with about 50 clubs and departments and the chance for a scholarship at the Spillman Plaza.

Clubs and departments in attendance ranged from the raptor club to the apparel, merchandising, design and textiles major. 

CAHNRS gave out eight $500 scholarships to students in the college.

Kathryn Josephine Fitzgerald, organic and sustainable agriculture senior, passed out seed pods for the Organic Agriculture Club as a form of suicide awareness. Participants wrote down a name or something someone said that was uplifting for them and then they put the paper in the seed pod. 

“It teaches people to give love and get love back,” she said.

Every year, the crops and soil sciences department uses wheat from the program for students to create decorative bundles. 

“It’s a fun way to connect with students, especially when there is a lot of wheat in the county,” said Rachel Breslauer, crop science graduate student.

Laura Lavine, chair of the CAHNRS entomology department, said she loves how everything came together. Students participated in a scavenger hunt where students used a piece of paper to track which booths they talked to.

“It’s important to feel like a part of a family,” said Scot Hulbert, CAHNRS associate dean for research. “It’s also a way to find clubs to join.”

The entomology department showcased live insects and specimen, like a praying mantis. 

The Raptor Club also displayed several of the birds that club members train. Raptor Club members are taught how to handle the birds, including owls, an eagle and falcons. 

Caitlyn Greiser, freshman animal science major, said she attended to learn more about the different clubs in CAHNRS. Raptor Club was the most interesting to her, she said.

“This event is a fun way for professors to interact with students also,” Hulbert said.