Buy me some figgy pudding

This Christmas, we should give the gift of perspective.

Even though everyone knows that the holidays are more than material things and parties, hardly anyone practices it. We should all be reminded that giving to people in need is more important than upgrading a phone. Less focus on the little things and more focus on the community will make the holidays more enjoyable for everyone.

For starters, Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus, who taught us about the importance of giving. Today, a lot of people give for the wrong reasons. We should give for selfless reasons, or not at all. Giving has turned into nothing more than a competition for the best gifts.

Several other religions and practices don’t necessarily celebrate baby Jesus. Regardless, it is important to be reminded of the power of giving.

Retailers are partly to blame for selfish giving, which is obvious. In our culture, the ‘best’ gifts often cost the most money, so it’s pretty clear why people freak out during the season. Companies view Black Friday as the ‘super bowl of retail,’ as Bill Simon, the president and CEO of Walmart, put it best.

Family also comes with stress, especially during the holidays. The value of Christmas is diminished when people hold grudges and refuse to put aside their differences in honor of the season. It sounds like a no-brainer, but it’s an effort that has to be made. There is a lot more going on in the world than one family’s problems.

People also act incredibly selfish around this time by only thinking of themselves. Instead of counting their blessings, people often reflect on the year’s failures and disappointments. The holiday season is a time of self-reflection and can create stress and anxiety for some people, according to Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Granted, stress is subjective to an individual’s life situation, but there should be some acknowledgment that your first-world problems are not the only problems. Whether facing unfavorable family members or self-failures, it is important to remember that there are substantially bigger issues in the world.

From a college student’s perspective, Christmas isn’t a time to blow a ton of money because of a limited budget. However, it can be a time to be thankful for an education and donate time to give back. Even if the future is unsure, college students should feel lucky that they are being educated.

There are always local opportunities to get involved in a community and help those less fortunate during the holiday season.  According to the United States Census Bureau, 46.5 million people live in poverty.

Volunteering over the holidays may relieve selfish holiday stress for an individual. Donating time to a cause reduces stress, and 94 percent of people reported that volunteering improved their mood, according to the 2013 Health and Volunteering Study conducted by the UnitedHealth Group. This is a win-win for the holiday season because while helping those in need, we also help ourselves. More than one million non-profit organizations exist around the country, according to the National Center for Charitable Statistics. It shouldn’t be difficult to find a way to get involved.

It’s easy to help families in need by simply researching local nonprofits. Some organizations bring meals or presents to underprivileged families. Even if you’re not religious, many volunteering opportunities are available at churches. Help is always needed around Christmas, and it’s easy to touch lives.

There’s so much stress about little things because people fail to pull their heads out and see the world. We should find joy in giving and being thankful for the blessings we have, even if it’s being thankful for our family or health. There’s always a reason to feel blessed.

Instead of reflecting on personal failures and self-loathing, people should convert negative energy into positive energy so they can help others that have real problems. 

We all know the holidays aren’t about the little things, but a reminder can never hurt. In the light of Christmas it’s important to remember that Jesus said it’s “more blessed to give than to receive.” 

-Alyssa Reynolds is a senior communication major from Ferndale. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.