WSU takes fourth place in Coeur d’Alene

Senior Marie Lund-Hansen finishes first on team, third overall

DAMIEN ALVARADO , Evergreen reporter

WSU women’s golf placed fourth in the CDA Resort Collegiate Invitational, hosted by Gonzaga on Monday and Tuesday in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.

The event was a 16-team tournament played on the Coeur d’Alene Resort Golf Course as a par-71. WSU finished with a score of 887 (+35). Senior Marie Lund-Hansen tied for third place with a final score 216 (+3). 

After one day of play, the Cougars were tied for fourth place with Brigham Young University and Florida International University. Lund-Hansen finished in second place after 36 holes of play at even-par, two strokes behind first. 

Freshman Jiye Ham scored 148 (+6) through 36 holes and finished tied for 28th. Ham placed fifth for the Cougars in the invitational. 

Overall, the Cougars shot a 585 (+17) through two rounds, while Gonzaga led by 12 strokes after day one with a score of 571 (+3). The Cougars did not get out of fourth place on day two.

Sophomore Darcy Habgood finished second for the Cougars as she tied for 15th place with a score of 221 (+8).  Sophomore Amy Chu scored 227 (+14) to finish third for WSU and redshirt junior Emily Baumgart took fourth on the team with a score of 232 (+19). 

Sophomore Allysha Mae Mateo of BYU finished first in with 212 (-1) after finishing tied for seventh place and two over par on day one. Senior Katy Rutherford of Nevada finished second after she shot 215 (+2). 

Gonzaga won the event with a final score of 868 (+16). BYU 872 (+20) placed second and Nevada 876 (+24) finished third.

WSU will hit the road in two weeks to battle it out in the Stanford Intercollegiate from Oct. 11-13, in Stanford, California.