Graduation ceremony sends students on their way

With the toss of a hat, WSU’s graduating seniors will take their degrees and move beyond the brick of the university’s buildings. 

At 10 a.m. on Saturday the WSU graduation ceremony will commence at Beasley Coliseum.

Teri Hansen, the Commencement Operations manager, said the ceremony will last two hours and will include all the colleges together.

Hansen is in charge of logistical and supportive services for the ceremony.

The ceremony at WSU represents the culmination of a student’s academic achievement, Hansen said.

“It is a time for celebration and reflection for students, families, faculty, and staff,” Hansen said. “It brings together the campus community to share the joy of the accomplished goals of our students.”

She said the ceremony is more than that, however.

“The commencement ceremony at WSU serves a dual purpose: to mark a point of achievement, thus completing a chapter in the lives of students and those who support them, and to encourage continued pursuit of learning, personal fulfillment, and engagement with their local and worldwide communities,” Hansen said.

The main speaker for the ceremony will be President Elson S. Floyd, she said.

Hansen said other speakers will include ASWSU Vice President Kevin Massimino, ASWSU Global President Brianna Lisenbee, Alumni Association President Ken Locati, and the Graduate and Professional Student Association President Randell Walling.

Massimino said he will talk about how students made a conscious decision to come to Pullman and join the Cougar Family.

“It is much different than high school because they made the choice to come here,” he said.

The ceremony will include the posting of colors, national anthem, alma mater, speakers, senior gift presentation, and of course the presentation of degrees, Hansen said.  The event will be live-tweeted, and students and families are encouraged to tweet along with #WSUGraduation.

Hansen said she would advise graduating seniors to enjoy the day because it’s all about them.

“Don’t let little things get in the way of enjoying a great experience with your family and friends,” she said. “Worry about those things tomorrow.”