Moos talks decision to play Tago

WSU sophomore linebacker Logan Tago follows junior running back Jamal Morrow in a game on Nov. 25 at Martin Stadium.

WSU’s athletics director defended his decision to allow a football player charged with felony robbery to play in the final two games of the 2016 season, though athletics policy prohibits this absent “extraordinary circumstances.”

In an interview with Pullman Radio News on Wednesday, Director of Athletics Bill Moos took responsibility for allowing Logan Tago to play despite his second-degree robbery charge.

WSU athletics policy states that any student-athlete charged with a felony is not permitted to play until the case is resolved. Moos did not explain any extraordinary circumstances and could not be reached for comment.

“That’s on me,” Moos told Pullman Radio News. “I made that decision and I take that very seriously. In Logan’s case, as we looked at it, and as the police investigated it, the felony charge was actually the robbery charge.”

The athletics policy does not appear to distinguish between different felony charges. The section regarding felonies reads: “In the event the student-athlete is charged with a felony, absent extraordinary circumstances as determined by the director of athletics and sport supervisor, he/she will not be permitted to represent WSU athletics in outside competition until such time as the case is resolved and all court, University and athletics department conditions for reinstatement have been met.”

The Whitman County Prosecutor filed criminal charges against Tago in October that stemmed from an altercation in June that left one student with a concussion. In addition to second-degree robbery, Tago was charged with fourth-degree misdemeanor assault for his role in the incident.

“Both Logan and Robert Barber were reinstated into school because of the president’s decision regarding the student conduct board, and we’re in the process of reviewing that and possibly revamping it at this point,” Moos added in his radio interview. “I thought with Logan’s deal, it was one until the court had taken their action on it, I was gonna go ahead and let him play.”

Moos did not elaborate further on what he considered to be the extraordinary circumstances regarding the pending criminal prosecution.

Tago pleaded not guilty to both charges on Nov. 18, a day after the university lifted his suspension. His trial date is set for Jan. 23 in Whitman County Superior Court.