Medical weed may come to Washington schools

State legislators have introduced a bill to allow the consumption of medical marijuana on school grounds, including on school buses and at school-sponsored events.

According to the bill’s original text, HB 1060 would, “authorize parents, guardians and primary caregivers to administer marijuana to a student for medical purposes.”

In its original form, the bill would require school districts to adopt policies which would allow for the distribution of medical marijuana for qualifying students.

Students consuming medical marijuana must be registered in the Washington Medical Marijuana Authorization Database. As of a Jan. 17 hearing at the Committee on Health Care & Wellness, approximately 45 students are registered in the database.

“This is a medical disability, and this can bring her back up to maturity level and grade level quickly,” John Barclay said about his daughter, River, in a testimonial at the hearing. “Her teacher was excited because River was reaching in and doing more challenging things; she didn’t want to stop.”

Barclay is the parent of a student in the Aberdeen school district. His daughter uses a medical marijuana treatment to stop the seizures she suffers from.

Sponsored by legislators including Rep. Brian Blake, D-Aberdeen, the bill is currently circulating through the House Committee on Health Care & Wellness. It has received mixed reception from members of the committee.

If passed, the bill will require schools to adopt policies, which would accommodate parents, guardians and caregivers to administer the medical marijuana to registered students, by Sept. 1, 2017.

The bill does not allow smoking or inhalation of medical marijuana on school grounds, buses, or at school-sponsored event.

Parents, guardians or primary care professionals would be the only ones qualified to administer the drug to students, according to the bill.

Because marijuana is classified as a Schedule I substance, the bill aims to curtail the federal regulations that could potentially pull a school’s federal funding.

HB 1060 also prohibits “school district officials, employees, volunteers, students, parents, guardians, and primary caregivers,” who are following in accordance to the bill, from legal persecution.

As of 2016, Colorado and New Jersey have both passed legislation that allows qualified individuals to administer medical marijuana to students who need it.

If they lose their funding, Colorado allows its school districts to revoke students’ rights to consume medical marijuana on school property. New Jersey’s administration of medical marijuana in schools is not required.