Senate tables discussion on Lindquist impeachment

Arts and Sciences Sen. Kevin Schilling speaks at the ASWSU meeting on Wednesday as a member of the public to express concern about the closure of Martin Stadium gates.

The ASWSU Senate will further discuss the possibility of the impeachment of International Students’ Council (ISC) president Kevin Lindquist at a future meeting.

All-Campus Sen. Matthew Morrow encouraged the Senate to wait to discuss details until the process and justification of impeachment is clear. At this point, discussion could spread uninformed speculation, Morrow said.

There has been no official movement from the Senate to impeach Lindquist.

All-Campus Sen. and chair of the Senate Internal Committee Kyle Simonson said the Internal Committee, ASWSU President Taylor Christenson and Vice President Kyle Strachila are observing the internal operations of the ISC.

The Senate passed five bills Wednesday, one of which changed the minimum amount of student votes needed to pass a referendum.

All-Campus Sen. Josue Zuniga authored Bill 46-18, which raised the minimal student vote threshold from 10 percent to 20 percent. If less than 20 percent of the student population votes on a referendum, it will not pass, according to the bill.

Arts and Sciences Sen. Kevin Schilling was the only senator to vote against the bill. He said requiring a minimum population to pass a referendum is against the freedom of the students.

“Why make it 20? Why not make it 60? Why not make it 80?” Schilling said. “There is no way for us to mandate or ensure that a large amount of people are going to show up.”

Morrow said the bill puts accountability on student leaders to encourage their peers to vote and on the administration to inform the student population.

The Senate unanimously passed a bill adding the new honor statement to the ASWSU’s bylaws and oath of office.

Its first sentence states, “Cougs act with integrity, respect and dignity.”

The Senate passed a resolution in support of the statement in September. Since then, the bill’s author, All-Campus Sen. Garrett Kalt, has pushed to have the statement incorporated in syllabi, exam booklets and the Chinook Student Center.

Kalt said the bill makes the honor statement more sustainable as an ideal of the university.

The Senate unanimously approved a funding request from the WSU Linux Users’ Group for $1,365. The money will help fund the organization’s 15th WSU Con, a 24-hour social gaming event.

Rachel Forbes, Linux Users’ Group president, said they needed more funding to maintain technical equipment and keep the CUB open for 24 hours. Forbes said there would be space to accommodate more than 200 computer gamers. She said attendance has increased every year, and they expect about 500 to attend over the course of the 24-hour event.

WSU Con will start at 6 p.m. on Feb. 17 in the CUB Senior Ballroom. The event will be open to everyone and feature raffles and free food.