Men’s basketball opens season against Montana State

The WSU men’s basketball team will start its regular season against Montana State University on Friday in Pullman.

“Opening night is a very exciting time,” said Head Coach Ernie Kent via WSU Athletic Communication. “I don’t care which sports you’re in, having the opportunity to do it this Friday is huge for us.”

The Cougs won an exhibition game on Sunday against Carroll College, winning 78-70. Kent knows the players are excited for the season and he looks to get off to a better start.

“We’ve gotten an exhibition game out of the way,” Kent said in an interview with WSU Athletic Communication, “which I felt like we (had) a little bit of stage fright at the beginning.”

During the exhibition game, senior forward Josh Hawkinson scored 15 points and nabbed 13 rebounds while senior guard Ike Iroegbu put up 14 points.

Junior forward Derrien King scored 11 points, and senior guard Charles Callison led the team in assists with four and put up six points in the game. One of the new additions to the team, freshman guard Malachi Flynn scored 12 points.

The Cougars completed 18 free throws throughout the course of the game, and went eight out of 16 from the three-point line.

“We’ve shot the ball well every day in practice,” Kent said. “Once we hit our stride, we are right where we need to be in terms of the ability to score. We can score the ball much better this year, we see, and make more basketball plays.”

When asked in an interview with WSU Athletic Communications if the victory of the exhibition game was going to lead to a better start, Kent said that they’ll play a lot better.

“Sometimes it is hard to come back and play in front of your fans for the first time,” Kent said via WSU Athletic Communication. “I would expect them to play a lot better and a (much) better start to this game coming up on Friday.”

Kent plans to redshirt freshman guard Milan Acquaah because of a leg injury. Kent said he wants to look out for and bring back Acquaah when he is healthy.

Kent also plans to redshirt freshman guard Jamar Ergas and freshman forward Arinze Chidom.

“All three of those players have an opportunity to practice, to travel, to be with us all the time,” Kent said. “(The) games will become practices,”

The season opener against the Bobcats will be held at 4 p.m. at Beasley Coliseum and will air on Pac-12 Network.