Staying in Pullman

Catherine Kruse Evergreen reporter

The WSU student body includes 1,892 international students from 98 countries all across the world.

As winter break approaches, many students choose to go home for the holidays. However, many international students don’t have the money to fly across the world to get home.

“To go back home for me is expensive and ten hours. And only one month,” said Mohammed K A Kaabar, a Palestine native studying theoretical mathematics at WSU.

Kate Hellmann, WSU International Center coordinator, said the International Center will stay open as long as the university is open.

“We want to be here for students,” Hellmann said. “When the holidays come, we want to put on events.”

The International Center was open during Thanksgiving break and offered activities for those not at home. The events included making pumpkin pies from scratch and a movie showing of “The Hobbit.”

For winter break, Hellmann said the International Center will have regular events and programs for students who remain on campus during the break, such as tree decorating, making ornaments and the possibility of making gingerbread houses. The center also offers plans to decorate the International Center office for the holidays.

“We’re trying to do a lot during breaks so they feel they’re still part of the community,” Hellmann said.

She also expressed desire for the International Program to bring cultures and students together. The program wants to show that the university cares about the students who can’t go home and help them feel like a part of the WSU family.

While Kaabar said he is up for celebrating, he also is working on research and a new math manual for students. He said he likes that there is the library, resources and books he can use for his research. He also said he is looking forward to experiencing Pullman’s weather.

“I am looking forward to seeing more snow,” Kaabar said. “It is my first experience with it.”

Not all international students will stay on campus for the break. Some students, such as Daniel Iparraguirre from Peru, will go home to celebrate the holidays with their families.

“We celebrate kind of like the United States,” Iparraguirre said. “We have a Christmas dinner, hot chocolate and give gifts.”

Some students might be invited to spend the holidays with friends on campus, Hellmann said. These exchange students go home with their friends to see other states and get a diverse American experience.

The international students at WSU, along with all others who stay on campus for the break, will have opportunities to participate in various activities at WSU.

Hellmann said the goal of the International Center is to create a friendly culture by being as open as they can to help draw out people so they don’t feel alone.

“We bring people together to provide students with different experiences,” she said.