Car enthusiasts strut their vehicles

Cars to line up in front of Bryan Hall to bus stop at Chinook

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen roots editor

Dads, students and community members will show off their vehicles at the fourth annual Dad’s Weekend Car Show hosted by the WSU Automotive Enthusiast Club.

Cooper Allen, WSU Automotive Enthusiast Club president, said there will be a line of cars from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday that will start in front of Bryan Hall and continue down to the bus stop in front of the Chinook Student Center.

“It’s mostly student cars,” said John Nyman, Automotive Enthusiast Club vice president. “They’re just normal cars that people customize, and they can show their personalities.”

Allen said the club decided that they will only allow 25 cars to register this year. New this year, students will receive priority for registering, but community members can still apply, he said.

Nyman said it costs $10 to register, which covers the cost of a daily parking pass. Those who register will also receive free food. Those interested can pay the $10 fee to the club’s PayPal.  The registration should include the type of car and a contact email address.

“This not only gives a chance for students to show their own projects with their dads but also to the general student body,” Allen said.

The Auto Enthusiast Club has over 700 members on the club’s Facebook page, including people who do not show cars, people who do not know much about cars and people who are car enthusiasts, he said. Students from Washington and Idaho, as well as community members, can join the club.

Allen said he owns a 1999 Toyota Camry that he modified. Nyman said he owns and modified a 2001 Subaru Outback with lowered suspension.

Allen said collecting Hot Wheels cars as a kid sparked his interest in cars, which has now become his passion.

“We’re really the only club in the area that can pull something like this off,” Allen said. “There’s a community behind us.”