Senate meets with Schulz to discuss Drive to 25

President Kirk Schulz discussed the Drive to 25 and student fees, among other things, over dinner with the ASWSU Senate on Wednesday night at the Lewis Alumni Centre. Provost Dan Bernardo also shared his thoughts with the senators.

A third of the Senate voted against a resolution to support the Drive to 25 at its Nov. 2 meeting due to lack of student input in the original outline. Arts and Sciences Sen. Kevin Schilling, one of the most vocal opponents of the resolution, said students in his college worry about the administration making decisions without their knowledge.

“We want to have town halls every year,” Schulz said. “It is not just a one-time thing.”

Schulz also said he wants to find creative ways to be approachable to students. Beyond being a top-25 research institute, he said he wants students to have a top-25 experience. He said this includes improving college affordability and relationships between faculty and students.

“The student voice is the one faculty will listen to,” Bernardo said.

All-campus Sen. Josue Zuniga asked Schulz why there was no student input in the Board of Regents’ proposed $50-per-semester fee to help alleviate the department’s $13 million deficit. All-campus Sen. Matthew Morrow said the athletic department could budget more reasonably, noting football coach Mike Leach’s $3 million salary.

Schulz said most of the money for the deficit would come from sources other than the proposed fee and that students will have the opportunity to vote on it.

“To get to $13 million, you have to find revenue in a lot of places,” he said. “It is ultimately your decision.”