Letter from the Editor: What is your impact?

“It has been a crazy experience that I would not have changed…”

Life+Editor+Zach+Goff+reviews+his+pages+during+a+Sunday+night+production.+

PAIGE CAMPBELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Life Editor Zach Goff reviews his pages during a Sunday night production.

ZACH GOFF, Evergreen reporter

When I applied to WSU, one of the essay questions I had to answer was “What legacy will you leave at WSU?” I had not thought much about that question until I took the position of life editor.

I have helped aspiring reporters get their work published while also informing Pullman residents about events in the community. I like to think I have done well, though I know I have made my fair share of mistakes along the way. I tried to learn from them and be a better editor because of it.

Not every day was easy. In fact, there were days when I wanted to scream and shave all my hair off. But it made those amazing days with my coworkers all the better. I hope “Disney Day” is a part of my legacy in the newsroom.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I want to thank my coworkers for the support they have shown me and the fun we have shared. The hours we have put into the paper will now always be a part of our lives. It has been a crazy experience that I would not have changed even if it would mean getting more sleep.

I also want to thank any reader who picked up the paper this semester to read any of the articles. You are the ones we do this for. Here’s to my friends who have heard me go on and on about the newsroom. Thank you for not killing me even though I am sure you would have loved to at times.

I have decided to take a step back from an editor position next semester. Taking this step back as I head into the last semester of my college career will help me get my feet underneath me as I get launched into the real world in a few short months. However, I have learned so much from The Daily Evergreen and want to help it succeed in any way I can. I plan to continue working as a reporter when I have the time.

This will mean the life editor position for the Spring 2020 semester is up for grabs. If you think you are qualified, shoot your shot and apply for the position. What is the worst that can happen? You do not get the job. What if you get the job? You get to work with a group of people that care about what is happening in the world and have some of the most outrageously weird conversations you have ever had in your life. What will your legacy be?