Volleyball begins postseason play in Hawaii

WSU makes fourth straight NCAA tournament

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman middle blocker Magda Jehlarova goes up for a spike against UW on Nov. 30 at Alaska Airlines Arena.

CALLAHAN HUDSON, Evergreen reporter

The No. 23 WSU Cougar volleyball team is headed to Honolulu, Hawaii to face the University of San Diego Toreros at 6:30 p.m. Friday in the NCAA tournament.

This is WSU’s fourth straight NCAA tournament appearance. In 2018, the Cougars hosted the first two rounds and advanced to the Sweet 16 where they lost to No. 1 Stanford.

The Cougars (23-9, 12-8) are celebrating a 3-2 win against the No. 9 University of Washington in the Apple Cup Series. It was their first time sweeping the Huskies in a season since 2001.

“The way our team fought and persevered and were able to come away with a win was great,” head coach Jen Greeny said during a press conference with WSU. “It was a really fun night, and I am really proud of the team.”

Freshman middle blocker Magda Jehlárová was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year this year. She also earned First Team and All-Freshman honors. Jehlárová led the conference in blocks with 172.

“San Diego is a really good team. They are well-coached, and they don’t make mistakes,” Greeny said. “They have a great setter and run a pretty fast offensive.”

She and her team have been scouting San Diego (24-5, 17-1) in preparation for this game, Greeny said.

“We’re going to have to play really well […] we’re going to have to have our best game out there,” Greeny said.

The Cougars need to do a good job defensively and get their blocks in order to be victorious against the Toreros, Greeny said.

WSU is 1-1 against San Diego all-time. The Cougars won the last time they played in 1993.

The Cougars will begin their first-round match of the NCAA tournament against the Toreros at 6:30 p.m. on Friday in Honolulu, Hawaii.