Pi Beta Phi temporarily suspended following investigations

Chapter allegedly planned, participated in off-campus event; sorority life dean says investigation is ongoing

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen roots editor

WSU’s Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women chapter temporarily lost recognition Dec. 6 following two ongoing investigations of an off-campus event hosted by the chapter. 

According to a statement from the chapter’s headquarters released on Thursday, some members of the chapter did not honor WSU’s current suspension of all Greek social events by planning and participating in an off-campus event. 

“The fraternity and sorority community at [WSU] is in a time of transition and healing after an unthinkable tragedy,” reads the statement. 

All Greek social events were canceled and suspended for the rest of the semester following the death of freshman and Alpha Tau Omega fraternity member Sam Martinez. 

According to the statement, the chapter is “working alongside the university to investigate and address concerns, adjudicate any misbehavior and prevent future missteps.”

When a chapter has a loss of recognition, the chapter cannot operate at WSU, according to the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life website.

The WSU Center for Community Standards is investigating the situation. 

Since it is an ongoing investigation, details cannot be shared at this time, said Dan Welter, Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life associate dean of students.

The chapter also has an investigation being conducted by the Pi Beta Phi headquarters chapter in Missouri, according to the website.

The chapter’s status is programming tier two, according to the Panhellenic Council. This means the chapter is on social probation and requires additional follow up with the council director of programming, according to the website.