Bucer’s offers coffee, beer and live music

Uncommon music venue gives voice to local bands and solo acts

Marty+Ytreberg%2C+physics+professor+at+University+of+Idaho%2C+performs+delta+blues+songs+on+a+slide+guitar+Saturday+night+at+Bucers+Coffeehouse+and+Pub+in+Moscow.+Ytrebergs+stage+name+is+Delta+G%2C+a+name+he+came+up+with+based+on+his+work+measuring+Gibbs+free+energy%2C+or+delta+G.+

EMMA LEDBETTER | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Marty Ytreberg, physics professor at University of Idaho, performs delta blues songs on a slide guitar Saturday night at Bucer’s Coffeehouse and Pub in Moscow. Ytreberg’s stage name is “Delta G,” a name he came up with based on his work measuring Gibb’s free energy, or delta G.

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

Over the last twenty years, Bucer’s Coffeehouse and Pub in downtown Moscow has hosted an impressive lineup of local musicians. 

The coffee shop has also been hosting an open “jazz jam” every Thursday for the last eight years, said Pat Greenfield, owner and operator of Bucer’s. 

“Originally I would have to go beat the pavement to find musicians,” Greenfield said. “I quickly figured out that with the University of Idaho and WSU, they have kind of a pipeline of really good musicians.”

Greenfield said several of the band members and musicians she regularly hosts at Bucer’s work at either of the nearby universities. 

“What you find is a lot of these professors who have hobbies of music, which is really fun because they’re usually really good,” Greenfield said. 

Marty Ytreberg, physics professor at University of Idaho, plays delta blues music using the stage name “Delta G.” 

“My actual name doesn’t sound very ‘bluesy’ at all,” Ytreberg said.

The delta blues style involves one person singing and playing guitar, which appealed to him when he first started, he said.

Ytreberg said he started playing as a solo act about five or six years ago and has played at Bucer’s a number of times since then. 

Delta G performed covers and a few of his original songs last Friday night near the main entrance at Bucer’s. Most of the covers he plays are from the early 1900s, he said.

“Name the kind of music, I’ve had it,” Greenfield said. 

In addition to blues and jazz, Greenfield said Bucer’s has featured Motown, country and other genres played by local artists. 

“I really appreciate the fact that Bucer’s is one of the only places in town that consistently has musicians playing,” Ytreberg said. “It’s great for local musicians to have a place where we know we can go.”

Greenfield said the number of people in attendance for each performance can vary from a few people to a packed house, depending on how well the musicians advertise themselves, weather and other factors. 

“Bucer’s is probably one of the most popular live music venues as a coffeehouse,” Greenfield said. 

Tonight, Bucer’s will host the weekly Jazz Jam from 8-10 p.m. Tomorrow, Brazilian jazz band Palouse Forro Experience takes the stage from 8-10:30 p.m. AEngel, contemporary songwriter, will perform Friday from 7:30-10 p.m.

There is no cover charge or minimum age to listen to live music at Bucer’s, Greenfield said.

Bucer’s is located at 201 S Main St. in downtown Moscow.