Halloween at WSU provides educational experience

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”c324de08-9f13-11e6-8d12-d72d49b2ae37″}}

Children and adults came together to enjoy the fourth annual Halloween at Washington State University, a themed carnival put on by ASWSU and the Athletics Department.

“It’s providing a fun safe place for Pullman (residents) on Halloween,” said Jenna Damberg, assistant director of student life.

There were 72 different organizations at the event, the biggest turnout yet, putting on different carnival games for children.

“It’s a way for students to connect with the community and give back,” Damberg said.

The carnival also featured competition between the booths. Engineers without Borders, who built a catapult, won $500 to donate to the charity of their choice.

Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) had a booth for nail painting, offering nail designs to attendees.

“We wanted to spread the joy of nail painting to any and all who want it,” said Noelle Perez, GSA sub-chair.

The department of entomology for graduate students had four booths at the event. The booths featured themed coloring pages, make-your-own spider suckers, display cases with different types of insects and a live hissing cockroach from Madagascar for children to see and touch.

“We like doing events with little kids. The kids respond well to the insects,” graduate entomology student Megan Asche said. “We hope to give kids an example of a different type of scientist.”

This was the entomology department’s first year at Halloween at Washington State and was one of the only educational booths.

Halloween at WSU took place at the Beasley Coliseum Sunday afternoon and offered a safe and educational Halloween experience for children of all ages.