Cougars fall in battle with the Trojans

Molina, Hristova fall below their average scores; WSU stays behind early

Sophomore forward Ula Motuga goes for the shot against BYU on Nov. 9 at Beasley Coliseum.

VASILI VARLAMOS, Evergreen reporter

WSU women’s basketball traveled to Los Angeles, California, to face the University of Southern California Trojans, losing 74-63 at the Galen Center on Friday.

USC (11-8, 3-5) came off of a double overtime win against No. 10 UCLA in its previous game, while WSU (9-11, 2-6) was trying to break its two-game losing streak.

Redshirt senior forward Borislava Hristova and senior guard Chanelle Molina were both held below their averages in scoring. Molina scored 11 points and Hristova had 10 points. The leading scorer for the Cougars on Friday was redshirt junior forward Jovana Subasic with 13 points.

The Cougars fell behind early against the Trojans. USC led 23-15 at the end of the first quarter. Both teams shot well in the first. USC shot 47 percent from the field and 50 percent from 3-point line. WSU shot 57 percent from the 3-point line but shot 33 percent from the field.

The Trojans continued to shoot well in the second quarter ending the half shooting 43 percent from the 3-point line. Hristova and sophomore forward Ula Motuga led the Cougars in the first half with nine points respectively.

The Cougars had a hard time stopping USC freshman forward Alissa Pili. Pili ended the game with 23 points and 13 rebounds.

In the second half, the Cougars cut the lead to one point three times during the third quarter and tied the score at 39 with under seven minutes left to play. The Trojans held on to the lead 51-48 at the end of the third quarter.

Hristova scored early in the fourth quarter, cutting the lead to 53-51 with 8:57 to play. With 6:13 left in the game, Trojans went on a 10-0 run to extend the lead to 15 with three minutes left in the game.