College Republicans plan to build Trump wall

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally May 7 in Spokane.  The WSU College Republicans are planning to replicate Trump’s idea for a wall between Mexico and the U.S. on the WSU campus.

Although there isn’t any construction taking place on the Glenn Terrell Friendship Mall, students can expect to see a temporarily constructed “Trump wall” in early October.

The wall will be a demonstration held in support of Trump to raise awareness of his policies on immigration, including his plan to build a wall along the U.S. and Mexican border, said James Allsup, president of the WSU College Republicans.

“I think it’s going to be a good event,” Allsup said. “Hopefully people will come out and get informed, and we can have a dialogue about the issues. I’m expecting a wide range of feedback.”

Washington is among the top ten most liberal states, according to a 2014 Gallup poll, but student-led initiatives by the College Republicans at both UW and WSU have gained attention campus-wide and state-wide for usage of Trump’s wall.

Eduardo Ramos, vice president of the WSU Young Democrats, said feelings of anger or hatred toward the opposite side won’t solve anything.

“I am a strong believer in civil discourse,” Ramos said. “The ‘Trump wall’ is bold and polarizing.”

Allsup said he and the president of UW College Republicans were the ones who thought of the idea and implemented it at UW in spring.

“We had no idea what the reaction would be,” he said, “but we were pretty happy with how it turned out. We tried to facilitate constructive conversations but more often than not, we were called Nazis, bigots and racists.”

Berenice Aballi, a senior political science major, said that free speech can include hate speech and racism, but it shouldn’t. She believes the wall discredits movements that have helped to empower people of color and minority groups.

“Everyone has the right to state their opinion but that does not mean it is not hate speech, or racism,” Aballi said. “If the Republican club wants to start building a wall to generate discussion, antagonizing a whole group of students is not the most effective way.”

Sydney Pederson, a sophomore zoology major, said walls divide and keep people out, going against the principles of the United States. Pederson also said the fear that fuels the idea of building a wall makes it impossible to have any meaningful discussion about immigration when it comes to Trump’s policies.

“The Statue of Liberty has a sonnet at its feet that implores those who are displaced and want a new life to come to our shores,” Pedersen said. “How can we, as such a diverse student body, hope to have a meaningful conversation about immigration when we are having literal walls thrown up around us?”

“How is this conversation supposed to feel anything other than hostile to those of us who are first or second generation Americans?” she said.

Allsup said a common misconception of Republicans is that they are opposed to immigration in any form.

“People think that Republicans are opposed to all kinds of immigration — we aren’t,” Allsup said. “We support legal immigration and encourage talented people of good character to come here legally.”

Leslie Roca-Roman, a senior criminal justice, political science and Spanish major, said she believes students will be provoked and outraged by the demonstration. She identifies as Republican, and agrees with Trump’s immigration policy, but would have addressed the topic differently, by providing statistics and other resources demonstrating the need for immigration policy.

Mario Vega, a junior history major, said he is a Republican and believes having dialogue is important.

“I think the Trump wall is perfect as it breaks the silence and its controversial enough to get people talking,” Vega said. “Even if we can’t agree when we as students have that discussion amongst ourselves, it’s a step in the right direction.”

Roca-Roman disagreed, and said that while the wall would be memorable and effective in representing Trump’s immigration policy, she believes it could be more disruptive, causing discomfort and anger, than helpful toward starting a meaningful conversation.

“I believe the Trump demonstration wall is going too far,” Roca-Roman said, “because many students (and) staff will be provoked by this wall display and may cause a hostile environment.”

Aballi said the demonstration will make minority students feel less welcome, despite all of WSU’s efforts to promote an inclusive campus.

“I believe that this will bring tension and division to campus,” Aballi said, “but at the same time expose and highlight the fact the minority students are seen as outsiders by some on campus, which needs to be addressed.”

Ramos said that previous events by Trump supporters have taken on aggressive tones, and while everyone has the right to free speech, the boldness of the demonstration will cause people to shy away.

“I am a strong supporter of civil discourse, but if the College Republicans want to open a meaningful dialogue and sell their idea, they have chosen a poor route,” Roca-Roman said. “Unfortunately, the event will most likely show how polarized politics have become.”

Allsup said he expects individuals with polar opposite views, but hopes they will control themselves and be respectful and not resort to violence.