Golfers prepare for upcoming matches

The women’s golf team prepares for their head-to-head matches against SDSU and Brigham Young University

JACOB BERTRAM

Then-WSU Women’s golf teammates senior Madison Odiorne, sophomore Emily Baumgart, and freshman Darcy Habgood set up to range balls during a practice session Monday afternoon at WSU’s practice facility.

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

The WSU women’s golf team plays today and tomorrow at the Lamkin Invitational, hosted by San Diego State University, in Rancho Santa Fe, California. 

Head coach Kelli Kamimura said there will be three matches during the two days of play. 

In the first of two matches on Monday, the women’s golf team will play against Brigham Young University with a shotgun start at 8 a.m. The Cougars are set to begin on holes 15 through 18.

This is the only time the team will compete in match play this year, Kamimura said. 

For this type of competition, players compete head-to-head with individuals from other teams. On each hole, the lowest-scoring player is awarded one point, and the first team to get three points wins the match.

“It’s a totally different format than what we would normally play,” Kamimura said. “More teams are going to this format here or there because the national championship is determined with match play.”

The Cougars normally use stroke play, she said, where strokes are tallied and the lowest-scoring individual wins.

Kamimura said number-two player Darcy Habgood will not play in the match at SDSU because of an injury. 

“It’s a great opportunity for other players to get in there and be able to compete,” Kamimura said. “That’s always the best way to improve, in my opinion.”

The rest of the pairings for the Lamkin Invitational will be posted online.

The team will head back to California in two weeks to compete in the Bruin Wave Invitational in San Luis Obispo.