Track, field teams finish fourth in Idaho

Tucker, Wells finish first in their 60-meter sprints

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-junior Max English competes in high jump during the WSU Indoor on Jan. 19 2019 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

JAN RAC, Evergreen reporter

The WSU men’s and women’s track & field teams both received fourth place in the Idaho Team Challenge on Friday in the Kibbie Dome in Moscow.

For the women’s team, senior Jordyn Tucker and senior Kaili Keefe both finished first in their events. Tucker finished the 60m dash with a time of 7.61 seconds. Keefe ran the 800m with a time of 2 minutes, 12.95 seconds.

Freshman Skyler Walton took third in the 60m with a time of 7.90 seconds.

In the field events, redshirt freshmen Tayla Beavers placed fourth in the pole vault with a personal record of 12 feet 1 1/4 inches. In the high jump, freshman Kaylee Sowle took third with a jump of 5 feet 3 3/4 inches. In the long jump, Anna Rodgers finished in second place with a leap of 18 feet 11 3/4 inches.

In the throwing events, redshirt freshmen Faimalie Sale finished second after throwing the weight 56 feet 4 1/2 inches, and senior Chrisshnay Brown threw the shot put 46 feet 2 3/4 inches for a third-place finish.        

Senior Emmanuel “RayRay” Wells Jr. and redshirt senior Ja’Maun Charles led the WSU men’s team by taking first and second place in the 60m dash. Wells finished with a time of 6.68 seconds. Charles finished with a time of 6.74 seconds and got a personal record in the long jump with a fifth-place distance of 21 feet 11 3/4 inches.

In the high jump, senior Max English finished first with a leap of 6 feet 7 inches. Following English, junior Beau Sheeran and freshman Daylon Hicks tied for third place, freshman Colby White took fifth, and freshman Taino Ferdinand rounded it off for seventh place.

In the pole vault, senior Troy Gingerich placed third sailing to 15 feet 5 inches.

Junior Jake Ulrich placed second in the 400m with a time of 48.07. Freshman Sam Griffith received third place in the mile run with a time of 4:18.03.

Up next the Cougars will split the squads as they head over to the Seattle and to Albuquerque, N.M.

The Don Kirby Elite meet opens women’s long jump starting at 1 p.m. Thursday and ends with the women’s 4x400m relay on Friday in New Mexico.

The Husky Classic opens Friday with a women’s club mile at 2 p.m. and ends on Saturday with the men’s 4x400m relay at the Dempsey Indoor in Seattle.