Cougars defeat Cougars, lose to Spartans

Senior Marie Lund-Hansen ties, wins, loses in her pairings; SDSU ties SJSU in championship round

Then-freshman Amy Chu refines her driving skills along with teammates Madison Odiorne and Emily Baumgart during a practice session on April 1 at WSU's practice facility before a tournament this week. Chu says the team practices five days a week, but the athletes are able to use the grounds any time.

JACOB BERTRAM

JACOB BERTRAM

JACOB BERTRAM

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen women's golf reporter

The WSU women’s golf team competed in two of three matches in the Lamkin Invitational Monday in Rancho Santa Fe, California.

The WSU Cougars beat the Brigham Young University Cougars when they went head-to-head in the first match Monday morning.

Four of the WSU players won in their pairings, with only senior Marie Lund-Hansen tying sophomore Annick Haczkiewicz from BYU.

In the second match Monday afternoon, WSU lost to the San Jose State University Spartans.

Lund-Hansen won in her pairing against redshirt sophomore Maddie White, but WSU freshman Jiye Ham tied with sophomore Natasha Andrea Oon, and three other WSU players lost in their pairings.

The Spartans went on to compete against San Diego State University for the final round Tuesday. SJSU and SDSU tied, each with two players winning and one tie.

Even though the Cougars were eliminated from the championship round with their loss Monday afternoon, they teed off against the University of Central Arkansas Bears.

Lund-Hansen, Ham and freshman Janine Surge both lost in their pairings. Redshirt junior Emily Baumgart defeated UCA freshman Camila Moreno with a final score of 2-up. WSU S=sophomore Amy Chu was also victorious in her match-up, winning by two with one hole to go.

In an email from WSU Athletic Communications, head coach Kelli Kamimura said the team had several good things to take away from the Lamkin Invitational to build on as the team continues its spring season.

The Cougars are back in action Feb. 24-25 for the Bruin Wave Invitational in San Luis Obispo, California.