This year’s ASWSU considered ‘cohesive’ by advisor and leadership

Rudy Trejo, faculty adviser of ASWSU and associate director of Student Invovlement, talking about how ASWSU is more cohesive this year at his desk yesterday.

Members of the 46th ASWSU Senate receive praise for understanding the importance of persistence, passion and purpose.

The Senate’s performance so far this academic year impressed ASWSU faculty adviser Rudy Trejo and Vice President Kyle Strachila, and they believe it will set the groundwork for future senates.

The advisers are getting tired because the student government keeps them on their toes, Strachila joked. On any given day, senators pitch ideas for resolutions, legislation and outreach, he said.

Strachila got involved in student government in his first year, following his passion for leadership. Since then, he has seen many students come and go, trying to make a difference.

New administrations and parties often come into office with many ideas for change but struggle to follow through, Strachila said.

This Senate focuses on long-term gain, chipping away at imperfections through the bureaucracy, Trejo said. It is a common mistake for members of student government to equate success with products and programs.

“This Senate is more oriented to legislation,” he said. “They are more dedicated.”

Strachila and Trejo both point to the Senate’s new efforts on old ideas like cost reduction as a display of their persistence.

“There is only a handful of returning senators,” Strachila said. “It is definitely more opportunity than hindrance to have new members.”

Strachila said part of his and ASWSU President Taylor Christenson’s platform was breaking away from how things have always been done. The Senate experienced a similar change, he said.

The new group brings new life and breaks stagnation, Trejo said. They don’t accept coasting.

A large group of students gives ASWSU the opportunity to ensure they have the tools to succeed and enjoy it so much they want to come back, he said.

“They understand the continual drip,” Trejo said.  “We won’t see it all in one year but it lays a great framework for the 47th (Senate) to pick up the ball.”

New members often come in with some skepticism, but this Senate already reached a point where they have found their rhythm, Strachila said. New senators are being proactive and have the opportunity to establish their own roles.

Strachila and Trejo praised the Senate for upholding accountability, staying organized and paying attention to the little things such as writing minutes and agendas properly.

“When things go downhill, it starts with the little things,” Strachila said.

The highly functioning Senate allows other branches of the student government to work on their own projects, Strachila said.

“(This student government) is truly poised to leave an amazing legacy behind,” Trejo said. “It is exciting to see how passionate everyone in ASWSU is.”