OPINION: Don’t stress: You do you this Valentine’s Day

Save yourself some time and money this year, and change your priorities

LAUREN PETITT

Staying cozy today might be a better choice for your wallet.

HALEY BRICKWEDEL

Everyone loves a good box of chocolates. A random gift from a special someone is a nice gesture. It is the thought that truly counts. However, an obligation to buy both chocolates with flowers and who knows what else, on a specific day in February is never fun. The gifts can be expensive. They can be seen as an obligation rather than a chance to show appreciation.

“Love is in the air” someone once said. Well, the love is choking me. It is everywhere: social media, stores, work and school.

With Valentine’s Day being a big part of campus culture, it is important to remember that the day can be seen as daunting or lonely. With age, Valentine’s Day gets more serious and complicated, especially if you want to get likes on Instagram.

“It can pressure people to get into a relationship,” WSU sophomore computer science major Ryon Ashley said.

When thinking about Valentine’s Day, there is a chance to remember the many loved and cherished moments. Back in grade school, no one was left out. It consisted of buying candy for the entire class and sticking a note to drop in their box, bag or on the student’s desk. The notes were sealed with the desired sticker. Hearts were meant for best friends and everyone else got a flower sticker.

There are two types of people on Valentine’s Day: singles and those that are in a relationship.

The singles are not necessarily dating anyone or have a specific “someone” and couples, they have a partner to share the day and gifts with. There are many opportunities for the couples to have a perfect and memorable day. The singles have the potential of feeling alone and or not feeling noticed by a crush or friend.

“You don’t need a specific day if you actually love somebody,” WSU junior human development major Dana Harnapp said.

Though many show their appreciation and love for one another on Valentine’s Day, it is important to show a partner or special someone this love and affection every day. One day should not be “the day” to show commitment and affection.

For those not in relationships, they can feel left out.

“I don’t dread it, but I don’t look forward to it. It’s just another day to me,” WSU junior food science major Rachel Schreck said.

Valentine’s Day can be full of expectations: buying flowers, chocolate, a stuffed animal, a date, dinner, lunch and a movie. This can all be very expensive.

Spending the day on a date or in bed shouldn’t be a burden on anyone.

The day has evolved into a fabricated holiday for corporations to make more money.

Personally, Valentine’s Day has been both fun and a disaster in my past. I have experienced a break up and I have had a chance to spend the day with people I love.

Valentine’s Day is just another day, but there is a possibility to make it special. Every individual, whether they are single or coupled up, gets the chance to choose when or if they want to participate in this “special” holiday. So, I caution you to choose wisely. Spend the day doing something fun or spend it with someone you care for.

Everyone loves a good box of chocolate. A random gift from a special someone is a nice gesture. It is the thought that truly counts. However, an obligation to buy both chocolates with flowers and who knows what else, on a specific day in February is never fun. The gifts can be expensive. They can be seen as an obligation rather than a chance to show appreciation.

“Love is in the air” someone once said. Well, the love is choking me. It is everywhere, social media, stores, work and school.

With Valentine’s Day being a big part of campus culture. It is important to remember that Valentine’s day can be seen as daunting or lonely. With age, Valentine’s day gets more serious and complicated. Especially if you want to get likes on Instagram.

“It can pressure people to get into a relationship,” said Ryon Ashley, a sophomore majoring in computer science.

When thinking about Valentine’s Day, there is a chance to remember the many loved and cherished moments. Back in grade school, no one was left out. It consisted of buying candy for the entire class and sticking a note to drop in their box or bag near or on the student’s desk. The notes were sealed with the desired sticker. Hearts were meant for best friends and everyone else got a flower sticker.

There are two types of people on Valentine’s Day. The singles, they are not necessarily dating anyone or have a specific ‘someone’ and couples, they have a partner to share the day and gifts with. There are many obligations for the couples to have a perfect and memorable day. The singles have the downfall of possibly feeling alone and or not feeling noticed by a crush or friend.

“You don’t need a specific day if you actually love somebody,” Dana Harnapp, a junior studying human development said.

Though many show their appreciation and love for one another on Valentine’s Day. It is important to show a partner or special someone this love and affection every day. One day should not be ‘the day’ to show commitment and affection.

“I don’t dread it, but I don’t look forward to it. It’s just another day to me,” Rachel Schreck, a junior majoring in food science said.

Valentine’s Day can be full of expectations. Buying flowers, chocolate, a stuffed animal, a date, dinner, lunch, a movie. This can all be very expensive.

The day has evolved to become a fabricated holiday for corporations to make more money. There was a holiday for gifts between the major American holidays. Other than the tradition Christmas, New Year’s Eve, Easter, Fourth of July, and Thanksgiving.

Personally, Valentine’s Day has been both fun and a disaster in my past. I have been broken up with and I have had a chance to spend the day with people I love.

Valentine’s Day is just another day, but there is a possibility to make it special. Every individual, whether they are single or coupled up gets the chance to choose when or if they want to participate in this ‘special’ holiday. So, I caution you to choose wisely. Spend the day doing something fun or spend it with someone you care for.

Haley Brickwedel is a English major from Belfair, Wash. She can be contacted at 335-1140 or at [email protected]. The views expressed in this column do not necessarily represent the views of The Daily Evergreen, its editors or publishers.